Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns-addr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:35:12 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Point-to-Point Protocol Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: PPP IPV6 Control Protocol Extensions for DNS Server 
                          Addresses
	Author(s)	: T. Hiller, G. Zorn
	Filename	: draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns-addr-01.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2002-10-23
	
The Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) provides a standard method for
transporting multi-protocol datagrams over point-to-point links.  PPP
defines an extensible Link Control Protocol and a family of Network
Control Protocols (NCPs) for establishing and configuring different
network-layer protocols.
This document extends the NCP for establishing and configuring
Version 6 of the Internet Protocol (IPV6) over PPP, defining the
negotiation of primary and secondary Domain Name System (DNS) server
IPV6 addresses.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns-addr-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns-addr-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pppext-ipv6-dns-addr-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:32:25 -0700 (PDT)

Does IPv6 really need yet another way of discovering DNS servers? We've
got at least 4 different mechanisms for this now (and maybe I've forgotten
a few).

Seems to me that sometimes "less is more".

---

From: Vincent Lubet <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:47:53 -0700

In my opinion this is likely the method of choice for for low end PPP 
solutions because this does not require a DHCP server (or a server for 
the 3 other solutions) to vent the DNS Server addresses.

Vincent Lubet

---

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:10:45 -0700

> the 3 other solutions) to vent the DNS Server addresses.

If it were my choice to make, we wouldn't be using either PPP *or* DHCP 
to discover DNS proxy services.  I like the idea of bootstrapping 
service discovery by assigning a distinguished anycast address for DNS 
proxy servers.  I realize that's controversial, but I'm willing to get 
into it.

>> Seems to me that sometimes "less is more".

I'm with you, Dr. Aboba.  I'm not looking forward to the task of 
qualifying all the wonderful ways my little network appliance will have 
to implement for finding DNS proxy servers.  I'd like to believe that 
IPv6 will be easier to deploy than IPv4.

-- 
j h woodyatt <[email-masked]>

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:32:16 -0700 (PDT)

In IPv6, DHCPv6 "lite" can be used to provide DNS server addresses as well
as any other required parameters. Since DHCPv6 "lite" is stateless, there
is no need to implement stable storage. This enables a single mechanism to
be used to provide IPv6 configuraition, regardless of media.

Therefore there is no need to drag the mistakes of the past into the
future.

---

From: Vincent Lubet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:55:57 -0700

> be used to provide IPv6 configuraition, regardless of media.

My original comment was about the fact lot of implementations do not 
support DHCP over PPP and I do not see how suddenly this is going to be 
easier to implement with IPv6.

> Therefore there is no need to drag the mistakes of the past into the

I may have a too pragmatic approach, but I think it would be a mistake 
to make the implementation of IPv6 harder.

In addition, many ISPs provide their service over PPP and do not 
support DHCP. I'm afraid that requiring ISPs to deploy DHCP for IPv6 
will not accelerate the deployment of IPv6.

Vincent