Subject: [Pppext] RFC for LLDP control protocol?

From: "matt harris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:14:48 +1200

Hi,

Does anyone know if PPP DLL Protocol numbers have been assigned for the
Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) data and control protocols for PPP?
 There is nothing in http://www.iana.org/assignments/ppp-number and
RFC3818 says the IETF PPP Extensions working group decides by consensus
new values in the PPP DLL protocol numbers address space.

LLDP is the IEEE standards based (802.1ab) version of the Cisco
Discovery Protocol.  Various PPP RFCs are in the bibliography of 802.1ab
but there doesn't appear to be a link in the other direction, that I can
find.

I know of at least one vendor claiming to support LLDPCP and need to
know the Protocol numbers to achieve interoperability.  Unfortunately I
don't have one of the vendor's boxes or I could sniff the packets to see
what they are using.

thanks in advance,

Matt Harris
Allied Telesis Labs
Christchurch
New Zealand
www.alliedtelesis.com

NOTICE: This message contains privileged and confidential
information intended only for the use of the addressee
named above. If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you are hereby notified that you must not
disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it.
If you have received this message in error please
notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender has the
authority to issue and specifically states them to
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.

_______________________________________________
Pppext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pppext

---

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:31:10 -0400

> Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) data and control protocols for PPP?

No, there isn't one.

But why exactly would you do that?  As best I can tell, LLDP (802.1AB)
would mostly duplicate what PPP negotiation itself already does.

I could understand why you'd want that if you were running bridging
over PPP (RFC 3518), but then you'd probably run it using the assigned
Ethertype of LLDP over the bridge link.

> new values in the PPP DLL protocol numbers address space.

That's correct, and it means that publishing an RFC is _required_ in
order to allocate a new number.  Other allocations are just not valid.

The only exception to this is RFC 2153, which allows for vendor
extensions.  Consenting peers using a vendor extension could (at least
in theory) negotiate the use of a non-standard protocol without
running into interoperability problems.

> don't have one of the vendor's boxes or I could sniff the packets to see

That one vendor seems to be HP.  You should probably contact them
directly and ask what they're intending for interoperability, as it
appears to be their invention, and isn't described in any open
document I can locate.

-- 
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677