Subject: [precis] do we need both SecretClass and FreeClass?

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:33:47 -0600

As previously mentioned, I posted to the [email-masked] list requesting
input on internationalized passwords...

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/saag/current/msg03476.html

Yaron Sheffer asked: "how can you disallow space characters (presumably
including ASCII SPACE) from the Secret Class?"

If we say that spaces are valid in the SecretClass, then there is no
difference between the SecretClass and the FreeClass. That might be a
fine outcome (fewer classes to define and implement), but I wanted to
check with the WG before making that change in the framework spec.

Thanks!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Matt Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 11:39:45 -0600

> check with the WG before making that change in the framework spec.

I think allowing spaces is worthwhile; more entropy, and it's something that just about every input device supports.

Also, this <http://xkcd.com/936/> (-:

- m&m

Matt Miller - <[email-masked]>
Collaboration Software Group - Cisco Systems, Inc.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:29:31 +0200

> including ASCII SPACE) from the Secret Class?"

  I had wondered the same thing...

> check with the WG before making that change in the framework spec.

  I'm familiar with many systems I'm that allow spaces in passwords, and
others that don't.  It's really too hard to say which is the best choice.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:56:36 +0000

That sounds right to me.

-Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Peter Saint-Andre
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:34 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [precis] do we need both SecretClass and FreeClass?

As previously mentioned, I posted to the [email-masked] list requesting input on internationalized passwords...

Yaron Sheffer asked: "how can you disallow space characters (presumably including ASCII SPACE) from the Secret Class?"

If we say that spaces are valid in the SecretClass, then there is no difference between the SecretClass and the FreeClass. That might be a fine outcome (fewer classes to define and implement), but I wanted to check with the WG before making that change in the framework spec.

Thanks!

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

_______________________________________________
precis mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/precis

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:46:16 -0600

Since we seem to have rough consensus on this, last night I worked on
removing the SecretClass from the framework spec. I take it as a good
sign that this didn't require major surgery. :) I'll submit a revised
I-D before the cutoff on Monday.

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/