Subject: [precis] I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-framework-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 15:26:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : PRECIS Framework: Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols
	Author(s)       : Peter Saint-Andre
                          Marc Blanchet
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-framework-10.txt
	Pages           : 63
	Date            : 2013-10-15

Abstract:
   Application protocols using Unicode code points in protocol strings
   need to properly prepare such strings in order to perform valid
   comparison operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or
   authorization).  This document defines a framework enabling
   application protocols to perform the preparation and comparison of
   internationalized strings (a.k.a.  "PRECIS") in a way that depends on
   the properties of Unicode code points and thus is agile with respect
   to versions of Unicode.  As a result, this framework provides a more
   sustainable approach to the handling of internationalized strings
   than the previous framework, known as Stringprep (RFC 3454).  This
   document obsoletes RFC 3454.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-framework-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-framework-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 16:52:24 -0600

> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-framework-10

Reviews of -10 or the diff would be helpful. I plan to check them both
to make sure that I've accurately addressed all of the last call feedback.

Thanks!

Peter

---

From: Florian Zeitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 13:32:30 +0200

> to make sure that I've accurately addressed all of the last call feedback.
I've had a quick look at the diff, and some areas I felt I should look
at again. I'm generally very happy about the outcome. Thank you for your
hard work. Some minor comments:

Sections 3.2.2 and 3.3.2 say «Certain characters from the Exceptions
("F")». That's a bit awkward as a reader. A forward reference to section
7.6, noting they are explicitly listed there would help.

In Section 4.1.3 about case mapping we currently have:
«In general, the combination of case preservation and case-insensitive
comparison of internationalized strings is NOT RECOMMENDED; instead,
application protocols SHOULD either (a) not preserve case but perform
case-insensitive comparison or (b) preserve case but perform
case-sensitive comparison.»
I wonder what the rational for this is? Both SASLprep-bis and Nicknames
seem to want case-preservation, but case-insensitive comparison. I may
be mistaken though.

In Section 10.5 "Visually Similar Characters" I'd suggest a reference to
UTS #39, describing confusable detection and mixed-script detection.

Regards,
Florian

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:43:42 -0600

On 10/16/13 5:32 AM, Florian Zeitz wrote:
> at again. I'm generally very happy about the outcome. 

Excellent, thanks for reviewing the changes.

> Thank you for your

I agree about the forward reference. Will add. (Also the xref in that
text was pointing to Section 7.5, not Section 7.6.)

> seem to want case-preservation, but case-insensitive comparison. I may

You make a good point. I can't recall the rationale for that text, but
it does seem to be violated by several of our profiles, so I'm inclined
to remove it.

> UTS #39, describing confusable detection and mixed-script detection.

That document is referenced in Section 10.1, but mentioning it again in
10.5 would be good. (Also the reference was incorrect since it said
UTR39, not UTS39.)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/