Subject: [precis] username profile(s)

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 12:52:55 -0700

In draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis we have a profile for usernames, which 
differs from the profile for localparts of JabberIDs defined in 
draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis in only one respect: the localpart profile 
specifies case mapping whereas the username profile leaves decisions 
about case mapping vs. case preservation up to the using application.

I am wondering whether it would make sense to define two username 
profiles in draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis: one that uses case mapping 
(say, Usernamecasemapped) and one that uses case preservation (say, 
Usernamecasepreserved). This seems cleaner to me, and would avoid the 
need to define a separate profile in the XMPP specs (which might not be 
where future protocol designers would look for a username construct).

Thoughts?

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:46:25 +0900

Having a profile that leaves case mapping decisions open and a profile 
that maps (in a separate spec) is definitely worse than having a profile 
that doesn't map and a profile that maps in the same central location. 
It's still two profiles, but they are both in a readily usable state.

The only caveat may be "but what variant of case mapping exactly"? If 
the WG has discussed this already, then we should be fine.

Regards,    Martin.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:58:05 -0700

> It's still two profiles, but they are both in a readily usable state.

Yes, that's how I see it.

> the WG has discussed this already, then we should be fine.

The PRECIS framework document says:

    If case mapping is desired (instead of case preservation), it is
    RECOMMENDED to use Unicode Default Case Folding as defined in Chapter
    3 of the Unicode Standard [Unicode7.0].

So I would follow that recommendation here.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/