Subject: [precis] consolidating FreeformClass profiles?

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:04:07 -0700

I think we've done a pretty good job of consolidating some of the 
IdentiferClass profiles, thanks to prodding from John Klensin.

Now I'm wondering if we can prune the list of FreeformClass profiles. 
Currently we have:

Password (draft-ietf-precis-saslprepbis)
Resourcepart (draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis)
Nickname (draft-ietf-precis-nickname)

The Password and Resourcepart profiles are similar: the main differences 
are use of the Bidi Rule and removal of leading and trailing whitespace 
in Resourcepart (the latter is more of a UI consideration and probably 
doesn't belong in the Resourcepart profile in the first place). I think 
we *might* be able to point to the Password profile from 6122bis and 
remove the Resourcepart profile (I'll need to post to the XMPP WG list 
about that). The "Password" name feels a bit strange in this context (I 
might prefer a more generic name like "OpaqueString"), but that's a nit.

The Nickname profile is different enough in purpose and function that I 
think we'll need to keep it.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/