Subject: [precis] WGLC on draft-ietf-precis-mappings - David Black's comments

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 21:26:22 +0000

The draft generally looks good - I have a few comments.

[1] (editorial) Clarifications to the discussion of string matching.

Section 1

   Further, the handling of mappings other
   than case and width, such as delimiter, special, and local case, are
   also important in order to increase the probability that strings
   match as users expect.

"increase the probability that strings match" ->
	"increase the probability that the resulting strings compare"

Section 2.3

OLD
   The purpose of local case mapping is to increase the probability of a
   matching result from the comparison between uppercase and lowercase
   characters, targeting characters which mapping depends on locale or
   locale and context.
NEW
   The purpose of local case mapping is to increase the probability of
   results that users expect when character case is changed (e.g., map
   uppercase to lowercase) between input and use in a protocol.  Local
   case mapping selectively affects characters whose case mapping depends
   on locale or context.
END

OLD
   If an application
   supports users' locale and/or context , local case mapping can
   increase the probability of getting matching-results from the
   comparison between strings.
NEW
   When an application
   supports users' locale and/or context, use of local case mapping can
   increase the probability that string comparisons yield the results that
   users expect.
END

[2] (technical)  The use of mappings from SpecialCasing.txt is selective,
based on locale and context.

Section 1

OLD
   whereas the "local case mapping" rule provides an alternative to the
   case mapping rule specified in the PRECIS framework since it handles
   some locale-dependent and context-dependent mappings.
NEW
   whereas the "local case mapping" rule provides locale-dependent
   and context-dependent alternative case mappings for specific target
   characters.

Section 2.3

OLD
   The target characters of local case
   mapping are characters defined in the SpecialCasing.txt
   [Specialcasing] file in section 3.13 of the Unicode Standard
   [Unicode].
NEW
   The complete set of possible target characters for local case
   mapping are the characters specified in the SpecialCasing.txt
   [Specialcasing] file in section 3.13 of the Unicode Standard
   [Unicode], but the specific set of target characters selected
   for local case mapping depends on locale and/or context, as
   further explained in the SpeicalCasing.txt file.

OLD
   The case folding method for a target character is to map into lower
   case as defined in SpecialCasing.txt.
NEW
   The case folding method for a selected target character is to map
   into lower case as defined in SpecialCasing.txt.
END

[3] (editorial) Incomplete explanation in Appendix B

Appendix B only states the result of Unicode default case folding of
U+00DF; it needs to also state the result of Special Casing case
folding.

[4] (technical) Clarify Appendix C

OLD
   As described in section Section 2.3, target characters of local case
   mapping are characters defined in SpecialCasing.txt.  The Unicode
   Standard (at least, up to version 7.0.0) does not define mappings
   between "GREEK SMALL LETTER SIGMA" (U+03C3) (hereinafter referred to
   as "small sigma") and "GREEK SMALL LETTER FINAL SIGMA" (U+03C2)
   (hereinafter referred to as "final sigma") depend on context.  Thus,
   final sigma is always mapped to small sigma by local case mapping.
   (Cf.  Followings are comments in SpecialCasing.txt.)
NEW
   As described in Section 2.3, the possible target characters of local
   case mapping are specified in SpecialCasing.txt.  The Unicode Standard
   (at least, up to version 7.0.0) does not define any context-dependent
   mappings between  "GREEK SMALL LETTER SIGMA" (U+03C3) (hereinafter referred
   to as "small sigma") and "GREEK SMALL LETTER FINAL SIGMA" (U+03C2)
   (hereinafter referred to as "final sigma").  Thus, local case mapping
   is not applicable to small sigma or final sigma, so case mapping in 
   the PRECIS framework always maps final sigma to small sigma, independent
   of context, as specified by Unicode Default Case Folding.
   (Note:  Following comments are from SpecialCasing.txt.)
END

Thanks,
--David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: precis [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Marc Blanchet
> Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 8:49 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [precis] WGLC on draft-ietf-precis-mappings
> 
> Hello,
>  this is a 2 weeks working group last call (WGLC) on draft-ietf-precis-
> mappings, starting today and closing on april 22nd 23:59 UTC. Please send your
> comments and support to the list.
> 
> Regards, Marc&Alexey
> _______________________________________________
> precis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/precis

---

From: Takahiro Nemoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:46:28 +0900

Hi David-san and Alexey-san

Thank you very much for your review and your helpful suggestions.
I’ll try to modify the mappings document accordingly and submit it after WGLC.

> 2015/04/11 6:26、Black, David <[email-masked]> のメール：
> 

I’ll reflect these comments in the next version.
However I’ll modify the last words from "locale or context” to "locale and/or context”.

>   increase the probability that string comparisons yield the results that

I’ll reflect this comment.

>   and context-dependent alternative case mappings for specific target

I’ll reflect this comment.

>   further explained in the SpeicalCasing.txt file.

I’ll reflect this comment.

>   into lower case as defined in SpecialCasing.txt.

I’ll reflect this comment.

> U+00DF; it needs to also state the result of Special Casing case

I’ll add a sentence to explain that U+00DF doesn’t becomes a different codepoint
by performing the case mapping in SpecialCasing.txt.

>   (Note:  Following comments are from SpecialCasing.txt.)

I’ll reflect this comment.

Regards,
Nemo