Subject: [precis] RFC 7790 on Mapping Characters for Classes of the Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings (PRECIS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:34:18 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7790

        Title:      Mapping Characters for Classes of 
                    the Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of 
                    Internationalized Strings (PRECIS) 
        Author:     Y. Yoneya, T. Nemoto
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      10
        Characters: 20806
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-precis-mappings-12.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7790

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7790

The framework for the preparation, enforcement, and comparison of
internationalized strings (PRECIS) defines several classes of strings
for use in application protocols.  Because many protocols perform
case-sensitive or case-insensitive string comparison, it is necessary
to define methods for case mapping.  In addition, both the
Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) and the PRECIS
problem statement describe mappings for internationalized strings
that are not limited to case, but include width mapping and mapping
of delimiters and other special characters that can be taken into
consideration.  This document provides guidelines for designers of
PRECIS profiles and describes several mappings that can be applied
between receiving user input and passing permitted code points to
internationalized protocols.  In particular, this document describes
both locale-dependent and context-depending case mappings as well as
additional mappings for delimiters and special characters.

This document is a product of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC