Subject: [precis] I-D Action: draft-ietf-precis-7700bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 10:42:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Preparation and Comparison of Internationalized Strings of the IETF.

        Title           : Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings Representing Nicknames
        Author          : Peter Saint-Andre
	Filename        : draft-ietf-precis-7700bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-05-05

Abstract:
   This document describes methods for handling Unicode strings
   representing memorable, human-friendly names (called "nicknames",
   "display names", or "petnames") for people, devices, accounts,
   websites, and other entities.  This document obsoletes RFC 7700.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-7700bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-precis-7700bis-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-precis-7700bis-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Sam Whited <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 16:52:23 -0500

Hi Peter et al.

A few quick notes regarding your draft to replace RFC 7700:

* Nit: §1.1 ¶3 uses the term "display name" several times, but the
document otherwise uses the term "nickname"
* §2.1: "May any instances of non-ASCII space be mapped…" sounds odd,
should this just say "Instances of non-ASCII space should be mapped…"
* §2.2 Specifies that UTF-8 MUST be used as the encoding; do we really
want to limit this to UTF-8 only? Is this for comparison purposes?
Then again, 99.99% of the time UTF-8 is what you should be using
anyways, so I'm not sure that it matters.
* §2.3: "Normalization Rule" is listed twice for enforcement

Best,
Sam

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:42 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> precis mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/precis

-- 
Sam Whited
pub 4096R/54083AE104EA7AD3
https://blog.samwhited.com