Subject: PMP> FW: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-snmpv3-update-mib-00.txt

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:47:51 -0800

Hi folks,

WARNING - the following document from the IETF SNMPv3 WG changes
the syntax (type) of text objects in the System group of IETF MIB-II
(RFC 1213) from 'DisplayString' (ASCII) to 'SnmpAdminString' (UTF-8
Unicode).  This change was made at the explicit direction of the
IESG, for conformance with 'IETF Policy on Character Sets and
Languages' (RFC 2277).  

The IESG will no longer allow *any* MIB to be submitted for the
Internet 'standards track' (or remain there for existing MIBs) 
unless all uses of 'DisplayString' (except language tag keywords from
RFC 1766, which are *not* text) are changed to 'SnmpAdminString' 
(UTF-8 Unicode).

This will definitely impact the Printer MIB v2 and Host Resources
MIB v2 drafts when they are submitted to the IESG.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 3:40 AM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-snmpv3-update-mib-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the SNMP Version 3 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Management Information Base for the Simple Network

                          Management Protocol
	Author(s)	  R. Presuhn,  J. Case, K. McCloghrie,  M. Rose, 
                          S. Waldbusser 
	Filename	: draft-ietf-snmpv3-update-mib-00.txt
	Pages		: 29
	Date		: 10-Jan-00
	
This internet-draft, a work item of the SNMPv3 working group, is
intended to obsolete RFC 1907, Management Information Base for
Version 2 of the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv2).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-update-mib-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-snmpv3-update-mib-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-update-mib-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 13:56:38 -0800