Subject: RE: PMP> Reminder of Last Call [recallling why the name changes w ere made]

From: "Hastings, Tom N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 14:37:45 -0800

If I remember correctly, the only reason that the enum names were changed
was to make the tense of the word (present or past tense) agree with the
specification.  We thought that it would make it clearer to the end-user of
an NMS.

The reason for adding the Prt prefix on some of the textual conventions was
to make it clearer from which MIB the conventions came.

We also thought that since the over the wire protocol wasn't changed, then
there wouldn't be any negative impact in making either of these kinds of
name changes.  However, there appears to be some implementation difficulties
being raised now.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Gloger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2000 12:54
To: Ron Bergman
Cc: Ira McDonald; Printer MIB Project; Tom Hastings; Mike Elvers; Paul
Gloger
Subject: Re: PMP> Reminder of Last Call

Ron,

And of course folks from Xerox, including Mike Elvers, and Ira himself
(wearing his still/occasional Xerox hat), have repeatedly said we are
in favor of staying with the original 1759 names (unless there is
compelling reason to change them); changing them causes numerous
development and interoperability difficulties.

/Paul Gloger

---------------------------------------
From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Ron Bergman'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Subject: RE: PMP> Reminder of Last Call
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 10:10:15 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]

Hi Ron,

On 5 January 2000, I stated on this list that Sharp DOES want to 
return to the original names in RFC 1759.

I reiterate that statement.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc

PS - I object to the broken process that says silence is a NO
vote.  IETF procedures are that silence is a YES vote for
IETF chartered working groups.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Bergman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 5:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: PMP> Reminder of Last Call

Just a reminder that the last call expires one week from Monday (Jan
24th).

To date there have not been anyone who desires to go back to the names
in RFC 1759.  If no objections are received, these names will stay as is

and the subject closed.

    Ron Bergman
    Hitachi Koki Imaging Solutions