Subject: PMP> RESEND: Posted new I-D - Printer MIB v2 - 14 July 2000

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:08:09 -0700

This got lost in the PWG reflector last Friday,
- Ira

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Ira 
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 11:42 AM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]'; McDonald, Ira
Subject: Posted new I-D - Printer MIB v2 - 14 July 2000

Copies: Printer MIB WG <[email-masked]>
        Job Mon MIB WG <[email-masked]>
        "Ron Bergman" <[email-masked]>
        "Harry Lewis" <[email-masked]>
        "Gary Gocek" <[email-masked]>
        "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>

Hi folks,                                          Friday (14 July 2000)

As most of you know, Harry Lewis (IBM) has performed a great deal of
work finishing up the edits to the Printer MIB v2.  Since Harry is away
from his office until 25 July, Gary Gocek (Xerox) has finished up minor
changes necessary to generate the IETF style flat text.  This version of
the MIB compiles cleanly under Mosy, SMICng, and Epilogue.

I've just sent the (hopefully) final version of 'IETF Printer MIB v2'
to the Internet-Drafts editor.  This version is for Printer MIB WG 'last
call' and subsequent publication as a Proposed Standard RFC - since new
objects are defined beyond RFC 1759, this MIB must start over on the
Internet 'standards track'.

I posted a copy on the PWG anonymous FTP server in the directory
'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/drafts/' in the files:
    
    draft-ietf-printmib-info-05.txt - IETF style flat text
    draft-ietf-printmib-info-05.pdf - line numbered PDF of '.txt'
    draft-ietf-printmib-info-05.doc - MS Word source
    draft-ietf-printmib-info-05.mib - extracted ASN.1 from '.txt'

My note to the I-D editor and the change log from this document follow.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copies: "Internet Drafts Editor" <[email-masked]>
        "Ron Bergman" <[email-masked]>
        "Harry Lewis" <[email-masked]>
        "Randy Turner" <[email-masked]>
        "Gary Gocek" <[email-masked]>
        "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>

I-D Editor,                                        Friday (14 July 2000)

Printer MIB:

Please place this document in the Internet-Drafts repository as:

<draft-ietf-printmib-info-05.txt> (July 2000)

It replaces the previous draft:

<draft-ietf-printmib-info-04.txt> (January 1999)

Note:  Edits to Printer MIB v2 were delayed awaiting the Host Resources
MIB v2 (RFC 2790, March 2000).

Abstract

This document provides definitions of models and manageable objects for
printing environments. The objects included in this MIB apply to
physical, as well as logical entities within a printing device. This MIB
definition makes explicit references to the Host Resources MIB (RFC
2790), as well as the Interfaces Group of MIB-II (RFC 1213).

Thanks very much,
- Printer MIB v2 Editors
  Harry Lewis (IBM, co-editor)
  Randy Turner (2Wire, co-editor)
  Gary Gocek (Xerox, contributing editor)
  Ira McDonald (High North, contributing editor)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Change Log]

4.  Differences from Previous Version

This draft supercedes and replaces RFC1759. The following changes are
included here.

- Minor editorial corrections and changes.

- Updated Coded Character Set description and IANA registration process

- Change hrPrinterDetectedErrorState "coverOpen" (bit 4) to "doorOpen"
per RFC2790

- Added second octet of hrPrinterDetectedErrorState as partially
described and assigned in the updated Host Resources MIB (RFC 2790)

- Remove fixed association of hrDeviceStatus (warning/down) from
hrPrinterDetetctedErrorState per RFC 2790.

- Instead of showing bit 15 as "not assigned" in the quote from RFC2790
in the hrPrinterDetectedErrorState object, removed that from the tabular
form and added it as a sentence, because the RFC doesn't show bit 15 in
the tabular form.

Clarfied the international considerations.

- Added prtChannelInformation to the Channel Group textual-conventions
on a per channel basis to clarify the channel description and enhance
interoperability.

- Deprecated some obsolete channel types

- Extended the Alert Table and PrtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnit textual
conventions to include values from the Finisher MIB.

- Clarify alerts based on unary vs. binary change events

- Added (optional) unary change event
alertRemovalOfBinaryChangeEntry(1801).

- Establish a convention for contact information for
prtGeneralCurrentOperator and prtGeneralServicePerson.

- Added prtAuxiliarySheetStartupPage     PresentOnOff

- Added prtAuxiliarySheetBannerPage      PresentOnOff

- Added prtGeneralPrinterName            OCTET STRING

- Added prtGeneralSerialNumber           OCTET STRING

- Added prtInputNextIndex                Integer32

- Added the Input Switching Group

- Added prtAlertCriticalEvents           Counter32

- Added prtAlertAllEvents                Counter32

- Updated PrtAlertCode enums including generic alert codes.

- Deprecated the use of alert codes doorOpen(501) and doorClosed(502),
in favor of coverOpened(3) and coverClosed(4)

- Added the PrtConsoleDisableTC and PrtMarkerAddressabilityUnitTC
textual conventions, and changed the PrtConsoleDisable and
PrtMarkerAddressabilityUnit objects' syntax to use those TCs, and
changed the PrtGeneralEntry and PrtMarkerColorantEntry SEQUENCEs to

- Added 'IANA Considerations' and 'Internationalization Considerations'
as top level sections, per IETF guidelines.

- Updated Security and Copyright sections

- Updated references

- Added Appendix E - Overall Printer Status Table

- Updated participant and contact information

------------------------------------------------------------------------