Subject: PMP> draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-06.txt - 9 August 2000

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 20:31:59 -0700

Copies: Printer MIB WG <[email-masked]>
        Job Mon MIB WG <[email-masked]>
        "Ron Bergman" <[email-masked]>
        "Harry Lewis" <[email-masked]>
        "Gary Gocek" <[email-masked]>
        "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>

Hi folks,                                      Wednesday (9 August 2000)

I've just sent the final version of 'IETF Printer MIB v2' with all edits
resulting from the Printer MIB WG 'last call' to the Internet-Drafts
editor.

This version is for submission to the IESG for IETF 'last call'
(normally four weeks for revisions to existing RFCs) and subsequent
publication as a Proposed Standard RFC - since new objects are defined
beyond RFC 1759, this MIB must start over on the Internet 'standards
track'.

I posted a copy on the PWG anonymous FTP server in the directory
'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/pmp/drafts/' in the files:
    
    draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-06.txt - IETF style flat text
    draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-06.pdf - line numbered PDF of '.txt'
    draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-06.doc - MS Word source
    draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-06.mib - extracted ASN.1 from '.txt'

NOTE - The filename on the title page of the '.doc' (source) and '.pdf'
versions is still incorrect (missing the '-mib' infix).  I hand-edited
the '.txt' and fixed the filename on the title page, so that I could
post these files tonight.

My note to the I-D editor and the change log from this document follow.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copies: "Internet Drafts Editor" <[email-masked]>
        "Ron Bergman" <[email-masked]>
        "Harry Lewis" <[email-masked]>
        "Randy Turner" <[email-masked]>
        "Gary Gocek" <[email-masked]>
        "Ira McDonald" <[email-masked]>

I-D Editor,                                    Wednesday (9 August 2000)

Printer MIB:

Please place this document in the Internet-Drafts repository as:

<draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-06.txt> (August 2000)

It replaces the previous draft:

<draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-05.txt> (July 2000)

Note:  The '-05' version was originally forwarded with the (incorrect)
name 'draft-ietf-printmib-info-05.txt'.  Corrected by the I-D Editor
(thank you).

Abstract

   This document provides definitions of models and manageable objects
   for printing environments. The objects included in this MIB apply to
   physical, as well as logical entities within a printing device. This
   MIB definition makes explicit references to the Host Resources MIB
   (RFC 2790 [28]), as well as the Interfaces Group of MIB-II (RFC 1213
   [14]).

Thanks very much,
- Printer MIB v2 Editors
  Harry Lewis (IBM, co-editor)
  Gary Gocek (Xerox, co-editor)
  Randy Turner (2Wire, co-editor)
  Ira McDonald (High North, contributing editor)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Change Log]

4.  Differences from Previous Version

   This draft supercedes and replaces RFC 1759. The following changes
   are included here.

   - Minor editorial corrections and changes.

   - Updated Coded Character Set description and IANA registration
   process.

   - Change hrPrinterDetectedErrorState "coverOpen" (bit 4) to
   "doorOpen" per RFC 2790.

   - Added second octet of hrPrinterDetectedErrorState as partially
   described and assigned in the updated Host Resources MIB (RFC 2790).

   - Remove fixed association of hrDeviceStatus (warning/down) from
   hrPrinterDetetctedErrorState per RFC 2790.

   - Instead of showing bit 15 as "not assigned" in the quote from RFC
   2790 in the hrPrinterDetectedErrorState object, removed that from the
   tabular form and added it as a sentence, because the RFC doesn't show
   bit 15 in the tabular form.

   - Clarfied the international considerations.

   - Added prtChannelInformation to the Channel Group textual-
   conventions on a per channel basis to clarify the channel description
   and enhance interoperability.

   - Deprecated some obsolete channel types.

   - Extended the Alert Table and PrtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnit textual
   conventions to include values from the Finisher MIB.

   - Clarify alerts based on unary vs. binary change events.

   - Added (optional) unary change event
   alertRemovalOfBinaryChangeEntry(1801).

   - Establish a convention for contact information for
   prtGeneralCurrentOperator and prtGeneralServicePerson.

   - Added prtAuxiliarySheetStartupPage     PresentOnOff

   - Added prtAuxiliarySheetBannerPage      PresentOnOff

   - Added prtGeneralPrinterName            OCTET STRING

   - Added prtGeneralSerialNumber           OCTET STRING

   - Added prtInputNextIndex                Integer32

   - Added the Input Switching Group

   - Added prtAlertCriticalEvents           Counter32

   - Added prtAlertAllEvents                Counter32

   - Updated PrtAlertCode enums including generic alert codes.

   - Deprecated the use of alert codes doorOpen(501) and
   doorClosed(502), in favor of coverOpened(3) and coverClosed(4).

   - Added the PrtConsoleDisableTC and PrtMarkerAddressabilityUnitTC
   textual conventions, and changed the PrtConsoleDisable and
   PrtMarkerAddressabilityUnit objects' syntax to use those TCs, and
   changed the PrtGeneralEntry and PrtMarkerColorantEntry SEQUENCEs to
   reflect the new syntax.

   - Added 'IANA Considerations' and 'Internationalization
   Considerations' as top level sections, per IETF guidelines.

   - Updated Security and Copyright sections.

   - Updated references.

   - Added Appendix E - Overall Printer Status Table.

   - Updated participant and contact information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 18:34:04 -0700

Hi folks,

Gary Gocek fixed the document title in the '.doc' and '.pdf'
versions and I've just stored the corrected ones to the PWG
FTP server (same path and filenames as yesterday - see note
below).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
  High North Inc

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, Ira [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 8:32 PM
To: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]';
[email-masked]'; McDonald, Ira; [email-masked]'
Subject: PMP> draft-ietf-printmib-mib-info-06.txt - 9 August 2000

    

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc

Printer MIB:

Abstract

Thanks very much,
- Printer MIB v2 Editors

   - Updated references.