Subject: PMP> FW: IPP> MIME - Registration of all Printer MIB Print Document Fo rmats (PD Ls) with IANA for IPP, UPnP, Bluetooth

From: "Hastings, Tom N" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:10:24 -0800

I should have included this mail message to the PMP DL as well, since the
enums on the Printer MIB (or at least the registration with IANA of Printer
Language Numbers) will need to be updated.  Also we will get better
information for the existing enums.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Hastings, Tom N [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 15:15
To: ipp (E-mail)
Cc: UPnP Print and Imaging WG <IMAGING@FORUM. UPNP. ORG> (E-mail)
Subject: IPP> MIME - Registration of all Printer MIB Print Document
Formats (PD Ls) with IANA for IPP, UPnP, Bluetooth

Agenda topic for IPP telecon, Wednesday, 1/17/00, 10-12 PST and the UPnP,
PWG, and IPP WG meetings, next week.

There is an increasing interest in having MIME media types for each of the
Printer MIB Print Document Formats.  For example, Bluetooth is using enums
and bit masks to indicate the supported Print Document Formats.  They are
using the Printer MIB enums, plus they have added 9 more allocating the
numbers immediately after the last one we assigned. The SMTP, IPP, IPP FAX,
and UPnP Protocols use MIME Media types to indicate the document format.  It
would be good for the Printer Working Group to keep the Printer MIB enums
and the MIME Media types aligned.

I have had an action item for over two years to register the Printer MIB
Print Document Formats that don't have a MIME Media type already registered.
Perhaps the Bluetooth use is just the stimulus to get such a registry to
actually happen.  I have attached a list of the MIME Media types from the
following sources:

RFC 1759, April 1994 (Interpreter Language Families):  3-46 ending with XES
- Xerox Escape Sequences
IANA Registry of Printer Language Numbers:  3-49 (added PCL-XL, ART, and
TIPSI)
Printer MIB V2 (Internet-Draft, August 9, 2000): 3-59 ending with Fujitsu
Printer Language
Basic Printing Profile, V0.5, 11/22/2000 (Data Formats or PDL): 3-59, plus
60-68 (which add SPCL, VCard, VCal, VNote, VMessage, HTML, XHTML,
XHTML-Basic, and XHTML-Print)

The column headings are some of the suggested information that we would have
in the IANA Registry:
Enum (decimal)
Enum (hex)
Name or Acronym
MIME Media Type (already registered)
Description, including full title
Reference
Company or Organization (without location, since it changes)

Before much more work is done, I'd like to discuss the table and the Issues
that are flagged in yellow.
I'd also like to discuss how to register the ones not already registered.
Please send comments to the mailing list. 

The IANA Registration Procedures need to have the following information:
MIME media type name : 
MIME subtype name : 
Required parameters : 
Optional parameters : 
Encoding considerations : 
Security considerations : 
Interoperability considerations : 
Published specification : 
Applications which use this media : 
Additional information :
Person to contact for further information :
Intended usage : Common or ???
Author/Change controller:

The document is a landscape document in .doc and .pdf format at:

ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MIME/Print-MIME-tab.pdf
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_MIME/Print-MIME-tab.doc

Thanks,
Tom