Subject: PMP> RE: Print MIB 09

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 11:43:32 -0500

Hi Juergen,

This is a tough question.  For six years now every Xerox product has
shipped with 'prtAlertIndex' at 'read-only' to preserve the content
of the notification.  I have seen this done at several other printer
vendors.  To date, there is no identified shipping implementation
that leaves 'prtAlertIndex' at 'not-accessible' (that was only one
of several compile errors in the RFC 1759 text - I've never seen a
compiler that would accept RFC 1759 unmodified, but I suppose it's
possible).

Our WG concensus to change the published version to 'read-only' is
in order to align with all known shipping implementations (who all
did it by hand-edit themselves).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox
  High North

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 2:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Print MIB 09

>>>>> Bergman, Ron writes:

Ron> The WG has already discussed the addition of text to explain why
Ron> prtAlertIndex is broken.  In fact is is presently being drafted.
Ron> We are still not sure if this object must be "not-accessible" or
Ron> can we change to "read-only".  Since with many compilers the MIB
Ron> must be modified to "read-only", the WG prefers to change the
Ron> MAX-ACCESS clause.  The addition of a new group and conformance
Ron> statements, in this case, is agreed.

There are existing fielded implementations that implement
prtAlertIndex not-accessible. So what is the point in making it
read-only just to kind of fix the notification? If it is true that
people had problems to implement the notification because
prtAlertIndex is not-accessible, then this would be a data point to
actually fix the notification by providing a new one that does it
right.

Changing prtAlertIndex from not-accessible to read-only to fix the
notification kind is IMHO heading in the wrong direction.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Muehlenpfordtstr. 23, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>