Subject: PMP> RE: Print MIB 09

From: "Bergman, Ron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:06:39 -0800

Juergen,

Thank you again for the comments.  I have just about completed the draft, so
I should be able to incorporate any changes necessary in version 10.  See my
comments below prefixed by RB>>.

	Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 1:28 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: Print MIB 09

>>>>> Bergman, Ron writes:

Ron> I believe that all issues are now resolved and I estimate we will
Ron> have a revised MIB by early next week.

I did run the MIB through smidiff yesterday (a tool which computes the
changes between two MIB versions) and I found some things I wanted to
share.

- There are some changes which, if you take the rules very strictly,
  can turn compliant implementations to be non-compliant, even though
  the document says:

   This draft supercedes and replaces RFC 1759.  However, a compliant
   implementation of RFC 1759 is also compliant with this draft.  The
   following changes to RFC 1759 are included:

  For example, prtConsoleLightIndex changed from Integer32 (0..65535)
  to Integer32 (1..65535). Perhaps this just fixes a typo in the
  original MIB - but it would be worthwhile to list changes such as
  this explicitely.

RB>> This was definitely a typo, since index values are never zero.  
     I will add this (and two other similar changes) to section 4.

  Also, prtInputDefaultIndex changed from Integer32 (1..65535) to
  Integer32 and prtMarkerColorantValue changed from (SIZE (0..63)) to
  (SIZE (0..255)).

RB>> prtInputDefaultIndex was also a typo, since this object allows
     -1 per the description clause.  This has been corrected.

- The prtChannelIndex and prtAlertIndex both have a range
  (1..2147483647) addded while all the other *Index objects seem to
  prefer (1..65535). The wider range is from an architectural
  standpoint better, but for consistency, the smaller range might be
  better. What did people actually implement?

RB>> I will change both to the smaller value to be consistent.

- Should you not use InterfaceIndexOrZero in prtChannelIfIndex? The
  description also refers to RFC 1213 where it should refer to the
  IF-MIB, currently in RFC 2863. This creates a dependency but I think
  this is fine as the IF-MIB is already at Draft.

RB>> Use of RFC 2863 was previously review by the WG and it was felt 
     this was likely to result in too many additional dependencies.
     Use of InterfaceIndexOrZero also has similar problems.  We would 
     prefer to not change since there have not been any implementation
     problems reported in this area.
 
I have not a very strong feeling about this. I leave it to you to make
a wise decision.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Muehlenpfordtstr. 23, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>