Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Unicode 3.2 released

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 14:03:06 -0800

Hi folks,

Unicode 3.2 has just been released.  Available at:

    http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr28/

As you may know, Unicode 3.1 (previous release) added 45,000 new
CJK ideographs (in Plane 2, which goes beyond UCS-2) and many
musical notation characters (in Plane 1, also beyond UCS-2) and
plaintext language tags (in Plane 14).

Unicode 3.2 is a much smaller incremental update (see below).
UTF-32 (equivalent to 20-bit subset of UCS-4 from IS0 10646)
is added as UAX-19 (Unicode Standard Annex 19) in Unicode 3.2.

[Recommended Citation Format for Unicode 3.2]
The Unicode Consortium. The Unicode Standard, Version 3.2.0 is 
defined by The Unicode Standard, Version 3.0 (Reading, MA, 
Addison-Wesley, 2000. ISBN 0-201-61633-5), as amended by the 
Unicode Standard Annex #27: Unicode 3.1 
(http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr27/) 
and by the Unicode Standard Annex #28: Unicode 3.2 
(http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr28/).

[New Character Allocations]
The primary feature of Unicode 3.2 is the addition of 1016 new 
encoded characters. These additions consist of several Philippine 
scripts, a large collection of mathematical symbols, and small sets 
of other letters and symbols. 

All of the newly encoded characters in Unicode 3.2 are additions to 
the Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP). 
 
Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc