Subject: PMP> SNMPv1 moving to Historic status

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:44:16 -0700

Hi Folks,

Note the following abstract in in the change bar version of the
latest draft of RFC 2570 updates, soon to be available at:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-snmpv3-rfc2570bis-03.txt

                                Abstract

     The purpose of this document is to provide an overview of the
     third version of the Internet-Standard Management Framework,
     termed the SNMP version 3 Framework (SNMPv3).  This Framework
     is derived from and builds upon both the original Internet-
     Standard Management Framework (SNMPv1) and the second
     Internet-Standard Management Framework (SNMPv2).

     The architecture is designed to be modular to allow the
     evolution of the Framework over time.                          |

     The document explains why using SNMPv3 instead of SNMPv1 or    |
     SNMPv2 is strongly recommended. The document also recommends   |
     that RFCs 1157, 1441, 1901, 1909 and 1910 be retired by moving |
     them to Historic status.                                       |

     This document obsoletes RFC 2570.                              |

     This document is a work product of the SNMPv3 Working Group of
     the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).