Subject: RE: PWG-ANNOUNCE> URGENT - WASHINGTON D.C. MEETING CANCELED

From: "Wagner,William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:58:26 -0500

Harry,
 
American Airlines will allow  the ticket price to be applied to a rescheduled flight (or presumably a reservation for  a different flight), provided that this rescheduling is done prior to the end of the originally scheduled departure date. Your  message  indicated that the entire PWG schedule is changed. Is there any chance that the PWG will have the new meeting schedule sufficiently firm by 29 Mar so that the flight to a new meeting can be scheduled? (100% confidence is not expected...80% or so would be sufficient)
 
Thanks.
 
Bill Wagner

-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Lewis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 6:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Claudia Alimpich; [email-masked]
Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> URGENT - WASHINGTON D.C. MEETING CANCELED
Importance: High

Dear PWG Colleague, 

The start of military action in Iraq, and heightened terrorist alert status in the U.S., has forced some of our member companies to change their travel policies, restricting travel. Although other company’s travel policies remain unchanged, travel at this time is viewed as tenuous by many of our regularly attending members. This has resulted in a substantial reduction in attendance for the Washington D.C. meeting from what was originally planned. 

In many cases, working group chairpersons, editors and key contributors have had to de-commit which has resulted in cancellation of entire working group meetings. The reduction in numbers and key personnel is disruptive enough to the agenda that the Printer Working Group, along with FSG and CIP4 have decided to cancel the meetings that were to be held at the Wyndham Washington D.C. on March 31-April 4, 2003. 

To compensate for this sudden change in plans we will attempt the following 

1. We will try to arrange phone bridges so that anticipated work efforts may still be accomplished via teleconference (WG chairs to coordinate with PWG chair and ISTO) 
2. We will reschedule our July meeting to occur earlier (May/June) and likely in an easy access west coast U.S. location (ex. Seattle, San Jose etc.). 
3. We will attempt confluence of PWG, FSG and CIP4 such as would have occurred in D.C. if at all possible 
4. We will rearrange our remaining 2003 venue by moving October from NYC to Provo (Novell hosting) and December from Provo to (likely) Vegas. 

Most airlines are handling travel cancelations at this time by allowing passengers to reschedule w/o penalty within a specific time frame (ex. with Frontier it is May 1) and complete travel by year end. Check with your airline. 

You are responsible for canceling your own hotel reservations! 

For those of you who have registered with the ISTO for the D.C. meetings, your credit card will "NOT" be charged any fees by the IEEE for this meeting.  If you do see a charge please notify Ami Patel right away. Please see her contact information below: 

Ami Patel 
[email-masked] 
Phone: +1 732 465 6477 
Fax: +1 732 981 9473 

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Ami. 

With Kindest Regards, 

Harry Lewis 
IBM 
PWG Chairman 
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM Printing Systems 
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:24:23 -0700

You have a short time to rebook but longer to fly, right? Recommend 
rescheduling for Provo in October. That is more certain time/loc than next 
meeting. 

Has anyone challenged AA on the rebook period? They appear to me much 
tighter than other airlines (2-3 months to rebook, 1 year to fly). 

If we really need to settle next meeting in 3 days, this will be tough.

"Wagner,William" <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
03/26/2003 07:58 AM
 
        To:     Harry Lewis/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS, <[email-masked]>
        cc:     Claudia Alimpich/Boulder/IBM@IBMUS, <[email-masked]>
        Subject:        RE: PWG-ANNOUNCE> URGENT - WASHINGTON D.C. MEETING 
CANCELED

Harry,
 
American Airlines will allow  the ticket price to be applied to a 
rescheduled flight (or presumably a reservation for  a different flight), 
provided that this rescheduling is done prior to the end of the originally 
scheduled departure date. Your  message  indicated that the entire PWG 
schedule is changed. Is there any chance that the PWG will have the new 
meeting schedule sufficiently firm by 29 Mar so that the flight to a new 
meeting can be scheduled? (100% confidence is not expected...80% or so 
would be sufficient)
 
Thanks.
 
Bill Wagner
-----Original Message-----
From: Harry Lewis [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 6:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Claudia Alimpich; [email-masked]
Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> URGENT - WASHINGTON D.C. MEETING CANCELED
Importance: High

Dear PWG Colleague, 

The start of military action in Iraq, and heightened terrorist alert 
status in the U.S., has forced some of our member companies to change 
their travel policies, restricting travel. Although other company’s travel 
policies remain unchanged, travel at this time is viewed as tenuous by 
many of our regularly attending members. This has resulted in a 
substantial reduction in attendance for the Washington D.C. meeting from 
what was originally planned. 

In many cases, working group chairpersons, editors and key contributors 
have had to de-commit which has resulted in cancellation of entire working 
group meetings. The reduction in numbers and key personnel is disruptive 
enough to the agenda that the Printer Working Group, along with FSG and 
CIP4 have decided to cancel the meetings that were to be held at the 
Wyndham Washington D.C. on March 31-April 4, 2003. 

To compensate for this sudden change in plans we will attempt the 
following 

1. We will try to arrange phone bridges so that anticipated work efforts 
may still be accomplished via teleconference (WG chairs to coordinate with 
PWG chair and ISTO) 
2. We will reschedule our July meeting to occur earlier (May/June) and 
likely in an easy access west coast U.S. location (ex. Seattle, San Jose 
etc.). 
3. We will attempt confluence of PWG, FSG and CIP4 such as would have 
occurred in D.C. if at all possible 
4. We will rearrange our remaining 2003 venue by moving October from NYC 
to Provo (Novell hosting) and December from Provo to (likely) Vegas. 

Most airlines are handling travel cancelations at this time by allowing 
passengers to reschedule w/o penalty within a specific time frame (ex. 
with Frontier it is May 1) and complete travel by year end. Check with 
your airline. 

For those of you who have registered with the ISTO for the D.C. meetings, 
your credit card will "NOT" be charged any fees by the IEEE for this 
meeting.  If you do see a charge please notify Ami Patel right away. 
Please see her contact information below: 

Ami Patel 
[email-masked] 
Phone: +1 732 465 6477 
Fax: +1 732 981 9473 

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact 
either myself or Ami. 

With Kindest Regards, 

Harry Lewis 
IBM 
PWG Chairman