Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> RFC 3584 - Coexistence between SNMP v1/v2/v3

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:04:29 -0700

Hi folks,

  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3584.txt

This excellent document also includes (rather obscurely) the
critical Community MIB - necessary to build a hybrid SNMP
agent that supports SNMPv1c and SNMPv2c (community-based
authentication) as well as SNMPv3 (which is now a full 
Internet Standard).

Note:  Both SNMPv1c and SNMPv2c have been recently moved to 
Historic Status by the IESG, so a product supports them for
compatibility, _not_ for standards compliance.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc

---------------------------------
[excerpt from RFC 3584 cover page]

Status of this Memo

   This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
   Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
   improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Copyright Notice

   Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2003).  All Rights Reserved.

Abstract

   The purpose of this document is to describe coexistence between
   version 3 of the Internet-standard Network Management Framework,
   (SNMPv3), version 2 of the Internet-standard Network Management
   Framework (SNMPv2), and the original Internet-standard Network
   Management Framework (SNMPv1).  This document also describes how to
   convert MIB modules from SMIv1 format to SMIv2 format.  This document
   obsoletes RFC 2576.