Subject: RE: PMP> add device in host resource/mib

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:53:58 -0700

Hi Jörg,

Now I have a better understanding as to your configuration.

I guess that the SNMP agent in Windows was purchased and the
HR MIB supports the computer and possibly other devices in the
computer.  Is this correct?

Have you also included the Printer MIB in the system by adding
another DLL and using the existing SNMP agent?

Have you assigned a unique hrDeviceIndex to the printer (i.e.
plotter) in your Printer MIB?

	Ron Bergman
	Hitachi Printing Solutions America

-----Original Message-----
From: Jörg Geistmann [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 9:31 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: AW: PMP> add device in host resource/mib

> Hi Jörg,
hey ron!

thank you very much for your fast reply!

> First, are you trying to build an SNMP Agent or Manager?
we create an snmp agent

> Then, does your Windows system already have this component
> or are you creating this from scratch?
(what do you mean with "scratch"?)
the printer mib we built ourself and
the host mib exists in the windowssystem (hostmib.dll).

so we need an entry from system in the printer mib, or?

> Any additional information as to what you are trying to
> accomplish would certainly narrow the scope of discussion.
we develop printerspooler software for plotter.
these plotter are connected with a pc with our software.
we want to made our software (and thereby the plotter) able to
work with snmp as agent. or in other words: we want to present
our software as printer in the printermib.
(can you understand this, sorry for my bad english)

i hope to enlarge the scope ;-)

many thanx

jörg

---

From: Jörg Geistmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:56:45 +0200

> Hi Jörg,
good morning ron!

> computer.  Is this correct?
yes, the HR MIB is supportet from the Windows SNMP Service about the
windows agent hostmib.dll. This agent/dll create the mib tree, for example:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.1 = 1
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.2 = 2
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.3 = 3
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.4 = 4
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.5 = 5
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.6 = 6
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.7 = 7
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.8 = 8
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.9 = 9
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.10 = 10
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceType.1 = OID:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTypes.hrDevicePrinter
...

> another DLL
no there is no other printer MIB in the system (i think that can exist
only one!) we want to develop our own printer mib dll.

> and using the existing SNMP agent?
yes we want to use the existing SNMP HOSTMIB agent dll.

> plotter) in your Printer MIB?
this ist exactly the problem! we need a unique hrDeviceIndex in the
Printer MIB. And this unique Index comming from the Host Mib, isn´t it?

i think we must install our "printer" IN A WAY(?) that the SNMP HOSTMIB
agent dll identify this as a printer. and create for us the unique
hrDeviceIndex. in our example case:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.11 = 11
...
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceType.11 = OID:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTypes.hrDevicePrinter
:-)

how can we do that the SNMP HOSTMIB agent dll work for us? :-)

i am very interested in your answer!

all the best

jörg geistmann