Subject: RE: PMP> add device in host resource/mib

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:05:34 -0700

Hi Jörg,

The agent code provides the interface protocol between the external
SNMP managers and the MIB.  The MIB defines a data base of managed
information relative to a device, software module, or any other
entity to be managed.  A MIB implementation defines the rules or
procedures necessary to obtain or modify the entries (objects) in
the data base.

You need to use the SNMP agent already installed in Windows and
integrate the printer MIB into that code.  The details of this
integration are very specific to the design of the agent.

The value of hrDeviceIndex for the printer MIB instance corresponding
to your plotter can be any value desired, as long as it is unique
(i.e. does not conflict with any of the existing assignments).

Hope this information helps.

	Ron Bergman
	Hitachi Printing Solutions America

-----Original Message-----
From: Jörg Geistmann [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 12:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; Marc Möller
Subject: AW: PMP> add device in host resource/mib

> Hi Jörg,
good morning ron!

> I guess that the SNMP agent in Windows was purchased and the
> HR MIB supports the computer and possibly other devices in the
> computer.  Is this correct?
yes, the HR MIB is supportet from the Windows SNMP Service about the
windows agent hostmib.dll. This agent/dll create the mib tree, for example:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.1 = 1
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.2 = 2
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.3 = 3
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.4 = 4
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.5 = 5
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.6 = 6
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.7 = 7
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.8 = 8
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.9 = 9
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.10 = 10
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceType.1 = OID:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTypes.hrDevicePrinter
...

> Have you also included the Printer MIB in the system by adding
> another DLL
no there is no other printer MIB in the system (i think that can exist
only one!) we want to develop our own printer mib dll.

> and using the existing SNMP agent?
yes we want to use the existing SNMP HOSTMIB agent dll.

> Have you assigned a unique hrDeviceIndex to the printer (i.e.
> plotter) in your Printer MIB?
this ist exactly the problem! we need a unique hrDeviceIndex in the
Printer MIB. And this unique Index comming from the Host Mib, isn´t it?

i think we must install our "printer" IN A WAY(?) that the SNMP HOSTMIB
agent dll identify this as a printer. and create for us the unique
hrDeviceIndex. in our example case:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.11 = 11
...
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceType.11 = OID:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTypes.hrDevicePrinter
:-)

how can we do that the SNMP HOSTMIB agent dll work for us? :-)

i am very interested in your answer!

all the best

jörg geistmann

---

From: Jörg Geistmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:23:50 +0200

> Hi Jörg,
hi ron!

many thanx for your reply!

> procedures necessary to obtain or modify the entries (objects) in
yes i know!

> integration are very specific to the design of the agent.
i know it!

> (i.e. does not conflict with any of the existing assignments).
yes, i know this unique hrDeviceIndex is handeld from the sub agent
hostmib (hostmib.dll) from the windows system.
this sub agent create this hrDeviceIndex for me in an unknow way.

if we develop a sub agent printmib for our plotter/software we need this
unique hrDeviceIndex in the printermib for the tableindex(es).

our problem is what must we do that the subagent hostmib create for us this
hrDeviceIndex.
- must we install a dummy printerdriver? then the sub agent host mib
create a unique hrDeviceIndex for this printer and we use this index.
(this works but is this the way?)

- or must we develop a own hostmib agent (we dont want because then we must
handle other devices like networkcard, memory, ports, ... too)

we have an other problem because of the staties in the hostmib.
in our subagent printermib we can set the staties for our plotter/software
but there are 3 plotterstaties in the hostmib too:
- hrDeviceStatus (unknown(1), running(2), warning(3), testing(4),  down(5))
- hrPrinterStatus {other(1), unknown(2), idle(3), printing(4), warmup(5)}
- hrPrinterDetectedErrorState (lowPaper, noPaper, lowToner, noToner,
doorOpen, jammed, offline, serviceRequested)
from which location get the subagent (hostmib) the infos for the staties?
(from the printerdriver?)
what must we do that the subagent (hostmib) do for us the job?
(or must we develop a subagent for the hrPrinterTable in the hostmib?)

i hope you habe any idea!

all the best,
jörg geistmann