Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> RFC 3601 - Notation for GSTN/E.164 Addresses

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:01:41 -0700

Hi folks,

A very useful (short) new RFC whose full title is:

"Text String Notation for Dial Sequences and
Global Switched Telephone Network (GSTN) / E.164 Addresses"

This RFC is _authoritative_ for all Internet standards track
protocols and interfaces that use GSTN/E.164 addresses.

Available online at:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3601.txt

Abstract

   This memo describes the full set of notations needed to represent a
   text string in a Dial Sequence.  A Dial Sequence is normally composed
   of Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) elements, plus separators and
   additional "actions" (such as "wait for dialtone", "pause for N
   secs", etc.) which could be needed to successfully establish the
   connection with the target service:  this includes the cases where
   subaddresses or DTMF menu navigation apply.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc