Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> FW: Common Locale Data Repository V1.0 Beta Available!

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:04:54 -0800

Hi folks,

Below are two notes about the Common Locale Data Repository
(CLDR), an XML-based standardized locale database.  Well
worth exploring.  Relevant to several PWG and FSG projects.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Helena Shih
Sent: 01 November 2003 01:52
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Common Locale Data Repository V1.0 Beta Available!

The OpenI18N WG of the Free Standards Group is pleased to inform you
that
CLDR (Common XML Locale Data Repository) V1.0 Beta snapshot is
available.

The CLDR repository provides application developers a consistent and
uniform resource in managing the locale-sensitive data used for
formatting,
parsing, and analysis. It also includes the comparison charts that
demonstrates the locale data differences on various platforms.

New in this snapshot are initial versions of collation tailoring data.

For details on the data, reporting problems, and information on the LDML
specification, see:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/CLDR_status.html.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Helena S Chapman

Co-Chair of OpenI18N

----------------------------------------------------------------
[note from Mark Davis (IBM) on 3 October 2003]

We wish to announce the availability of the Version 1.0 Alpha of the Common
Locale Data Repository for public feedback. We request that people review
the data for languages and countries that they are familiar with, and  file
bug reports where they see problems. (This is an alpha release, so there
are known fixes that have not yet been incorporated.)

The purpose of the Common Locale Data Repository project is to:

1. devise a general XML format for the exchange of culturally sensitive
(locale) information for use in application and system development (V1.0
released 2003.07.02)

2. gather, store, and make available data generated in that format

For details, please see

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/CLDR_status.html

Please forward this note to anyone else you think might be interested.

___
[email-masked]
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799