Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> New IEEE Standard Project on Hardcopy Device and System Security

From: "Don Wright" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:41:44 -0500

I probably should have distributed this notice on this reflector a month or
more ago but too many hours at 40,000 feet tend to temporarily diminish
one's mental acumen.

At the December 2003 meeting of the IEEE Standards Board, a new project was
approved to develop a standard for Security for Hardcopy Devices and
Systems. This covers the printers, multifunction devices, etc. as well as
the communications channels and the operating systems that drive them.

You can find a press release on the subject at
http://standards.ieee.org/announcements/pr_p2600.html

The group has a growing website at http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/2600

The group is currently still in the formative and requirements stage but it
is expected the standard will contain a protection profile using the common
criteria. (If you are not familiar with the common criteria, the website has
links.)

The next meeting of the group will be March 10-11 at the IEEE offices in
Piscataway, NJ. If you or your company are interested in participating,
please review the material on the website including the information from the
first meeting as well as the logistics for this upcoming meeting.
Afterwards, please RSVP to me so we can finalize the plans. Deadline for
RSVP is March 1, 2004. We expect to have a number of future meetings that
will align with the PWG.

*******************************************
Don Wright [email-masked]

Chair, IEEE SA Standards Board
Member, IEEE-ISTO Board of Directors
[email-masked] / [email-masked]

Director, Alliances and Standards
Lexmark International
740 New Circle Rd C14/082-3
Lexington, Ky 40550

859-825-4808 (phone) 603-963-8352 (fax)
*******************************************