Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> Character Repertoire Candidate Standards 5101.2 and 5101.3

From: "Elliott Bradshaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:00:28 -0500

The following have been approved as Candidate Standards, by a vote of 3 in favor, none opposed, 1 abstention.  Many thanks to all who contributed to this work.

  Elliott Bradshaw
  Zoran

(Process note:  I am aware that these file locations are considered obsolete.  I am using them for consistency with the recent Semantic Model document, which includes a reference to 5101.2.)

IEEE-ISTO PWG Candidate Standard 5101.2-2004 - The Printer Working Group (PWG) RepertoireSupported Element 
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/standards/pwg5101.2.pdf

Abstract 

In traditional printing environments, clients rely on font downloads when they are not sure a given character is 
embedded in the printer. As printing moves to small clients, downloading may not be an option and clients 
have a need to know what characters are available in a given device. 

There are many published named character repertoires, and a small client will not know about them all. 
To improve operability, this document defines semantics and naming conventions, to allow a printer to 
advertise what repertoires it supports. 

The primary target of this document is printing using document formats based on XML or HTML (for 
example, XHTML−Print). It will be less applicable to traditional PDLs (PCL, PostScript, etc.) because they 
tend to have very format−specific mechanisms for managing character repertoires. 

IEEE-ISTO PWG Candidate Standard 5101.3-2004 - Best Practices for use of the RepertoireSupported Element
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/standards/pwg5101.3.pdf

Abstract 

In traditional printing environments, clients rely on font downloads when they are not sure a given character is 
embedded in the printer. As printing moves to small clients, downloading may not be an option and clients 
have a need to know what characters are available in a given device. 

There are many published named character repertoires, and a small client will not know about them all. 
[RS] describes the syntax and semantics for the Semantic Model element "RepertoireSupported". The current 
document describes Best Practices for the use of that element, in order to maximize interoperability between 
client devices and printers. 

The reader of this document should be familiar with the terminology and concepts in [RS]. 

Reference: [RS] IEEE-ISTO PWG Candidate Standard 5101.2-2004 - The Printer Working Group (PWG) RepertoireSupported Element