Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> New Topic(s) to be discussed at Tokyo Plenary

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 23:48:14 -0600

Be advised that there are some new topics which will be introduced during 
the FSG/PWG joint Plenary in Tokyo Wednesday afternoon. One or more of 
these topics may result in a Wednesday evening BOF if enough interest is 
expressed during the Plenary.

1. Projector Management BOF
  - It has been observed that projector equipment manufactures (ex. LCD 
projectors) are in a state similar to printer manufactures 10 years ago in 
that several major projector makers use SNMP for device management but all 
are using incompatible private MIBs. A standard MIB or, at least, common 
semantics may be very helpful in the industry. The PWG would be expanding 
its role into a broader set of "imaging" solutions if we were to host this 
project.

2. MFD Security Model. One PWG member has express a desire to introduce 
MFD Security Model concepts. Since the IEEE P2600 has been working in this 
area we will want to assure the PWG does not embark on a redundant effort. 
There may be elements of a standards MFD security model which are 
complimentary to P2600 and/or which belong in the PWG, however. 

3. PWG Semantic Model / DMTF CIM mapping. We have been circling the wagons 
around this work effort but no one has built a campfire yet. Need to 
evaluate motive, requirements, resources, anticipated benefits etc and 
develop an action plan

4. Print Number (see Camas minutes 
ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/minutes/pwg_plenary_minutes_20050112.pdf
.) The Print Number team (from China) indicated they may attend Tokyo but 
I haven't heard from them recently. We will add this to the (BOF) agenda 
if someone from Print Number attends.

If you are interested in any of these topics I strongly encourage your 
participating in the Plenary and ask you to consider the potential for an 
evening BOF Wednesday April 13 in Tokyo.
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM STSM
Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems 
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
----------------------------------------------