Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> PWG - DMTF alliance for CIM mapping

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:06:36 -0600

A official alliance is being formed and a "Work Register" has been filed 
that defines a project wherein the PWG and DMTF will cooperate in updating 
the DMTF CIM core schema as they pertain to printing. The Work Register 
will be voted and (assuming it passes) the alliance will become official 
at the DMTF Board meeting May 12. In anticipation of a mid-May kick-off I 
am asking for volunteers interested in assisting with this effort (even if 
you responded to an earlier request when I announced the concept, please 
take this opportunity to reiterate your support). 

The main effort will be to evaluate the current CIM System Devices core 
schema and recommend where and how it should be updated to align with the 
latest Printer MIB v2, PWG Semantic Model, and PWG Counter Specification 
(which should be Candidate Standard status by that time). 

The PWG has been quite successful, through the efforts of all our members, 
in helping standards orgs across our industry... from Bluetooth to CIP4... 
adopt a fairly common set of semantics. The effort to align with DMTF has 
a similar goal. The DMTF consists of several large enterprise management 
app vendors who are interested in preparing for the potential convergence 
of Server/Storage/Printer management. Aligning our semantics and schema 
will be an initial goal. Beyond that effort there may be future 
opportunities to influence management protocol and operations in 
subsequent cooperative projects. 
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM STSM
Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems 
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
----------------------------------------------