Subject: PMP> Call for concensus on new Port Mon MIB objects (PPM-6 and PPM-7)

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:06:12 -0700

Hi,

Discussion seems to have dried up here, without visible concensus on
'ppmPortDescription' (free text) and 'ppmPortPrtChannelIndex' (the
only possible way to correctly correlate 'ports' in PPM MIB with
'channels' in Printer MIB).

Shall I write up these two new objects from the Tokyo review?

I'm strongly opposed to Ron's suggestion of changing the name of
'ppmPortName' to (as proposed) 'ppmPortDescrName' and changing
the _semantics_ from a name (an invariant, installation-time label)
to a free-text description.

We had a firm agreement last December to freeze the _names_ and
_semantics_ of all existing Port Mon MIB objects in February, as
a courtesy to the Microsoft Longhorn team and to print vendor
implementors.  Renaming and bending 'ppmPortName' breaks that
agreement, and reduces interoperability (because implementation
of that object would become highly vendor-specific).

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]