Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> URGENT - PWG Chairman Nominations

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 00:59:21 -0600

I labeled this reminder URGENT because
we are just over a month away from our July Plenary where we will review
nominations and begin elections for new PWG officers. The 2 year term for
current officers will expire in September. Three positions will be opening
- Chairman, Vice Chairman and Secretary. We welcome nominations for any
of the 3 positions but, while we do have several people willing to accept
VC and Secretary roles, we are currently lacking a nominee for Chairman.

The PWG is entering a very exciting
and active phase which will require an energetic leader with vision. This
role will require commitment but I am certain, in return, you will receive
a great number of very rewarding experiences.

Some of the more recent highlights for
the PWG include:

1. Apple and Microsoft join the
PWG who, together with IBM, represent print and printer management components
of 5 major OS platforms.

2. Linux is represented via scheduled,
periodic joint meetings with the Free Standards Group

3. Dell joined the PWG as a major
supplier of printers and printing systems who is interested in open standards

4. The PWG Common Semantic Model
has been established and acknowledged by a wide ranging variety of segment
specific print standards organizations

5. Version 2 of Printer MIB has
reached IETF Standards Track status (RFC 3805)

6. Discussions are being held
with the DMTF regarding possible collaboration to update the CIM printer
model with PWG semantics

7. The PWG is expanding into broader
areas of "imaging systems" management

a. With the definition of a complete
set of Counters for remote management of Imaging Services (such as Production
and Enterprise Print, Scan, Copy, Fax)

b. With the definition of a web
service method for implementing inter-enterprise remote management for
Output Management Services

c. With an initial BOF, in Japan,
on networked projector management standards which is leading to a new project
definition and solicitation of projector vendors

Some additional areas under consideration
are

8. Efficiency study of standards
activities in the print and imaging industry including models, dictionaries,
protocols (print, finishing, job ticket, management, accounting) with recommendations
for harmony

9. Possible alliance with high-end
production print standards organizations for Semantic Model alignment and
expansion into areas such as mail piece and remote finishing.

Many of you have demonstrated your support
for open standards and the positive effect they have had on the printer
industry with your contributions in working groups, on conference calls,
e-mail discussions and face to face meetings. This has allowed the PWG
to provide our service to the industry in an exemplary manner while maintaining
our tradition as a low cost, low overhead organization. The PWG is in need
of a new Chairman to help keep this tradition moving forward. Please indicate
your support by sending your nomination to [email-masked]
or you can send your nomination directly to me by simply replying to this
message.

PLEASE SEND YOUR NOMINATION BY FRIDAY,
JULY 1. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU!

----------------------------------------------

Harry Lewis

IBM STSM

Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group

http://www.pwg.org

IBM Printing Systems

http://www.ibm.com/printers

303-924-5337

----------------------------------------------