Subject: PMP> Updates for Port Mon (requirements w/ rationale)

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 15:02:40 -0700

Hi folks,                                          Sunday (26 June 2005)

[Jerry - if you see this and have time - otherwise, perhaps week after]

Below are updates for the Printer Port Monitoring MIB, per our recent
discussions during PWG Steering Committee telecons:

(a) New top-level section 2 'Terminology';

(b) New top-level section 3 'Requirements';

(c) New top-level section 4 'Overview of PPM MIB';

(d) New normative and informative references.

Also, the LAST-UPDATED and REVISION clauses of the ASN.1 source (.mib)
should be updated into a newly dated version compatible with the basic
document.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[delete old sections 1.3 and 1.4 - revised/moved to new section 3]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[add new section 2 'Terminology' - move old sections 2.1/2.2 there]

2  Terminology

2.1 Conformance Terminology

    <old section 2.1 moved here>

2.2 Printer Terminology

    <old section 2.2 moved here>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[add new section 3 'Requirements']

3  Requirements

3.1 Rationale for PPM MIB

The IETF and IEEE standards for printing define:

(a) A rationale for an abstract model of printing (to support alternate
    encodings and protocols) in section 3 of the IETF IPP Rationale
    [RFC2568] which led to the later development of the PWG Semantic
    Model/1.0 [PWG5105.1].

(b) A set of design goals for printer installation and monitoring in
    section 3.1.1 'Finding or locating a printer' (End User), section
    3.1.3 'Viewing the status and capabilities of a printer' (End User),
    section 3.2.1 'Alerting' (Operator), and section 3.3 'Administrator'
    (the bullet requirement to 'create an instance of a printer') of the
    IETF IPP Design Goals [RFC2567].

(c) A simple abstract model for a Printer Device in the 'hrDeviceTable'
    and 'hrPrinterTable' in section 4.4 of the IETF Host Resources MIB
    v2 [RFC2790].

(d) A detailed abstract model for a Printer Device in section 2.2 and
    section 6 of the IETF Printer MIB v2 [RFC3805].

(e) A detailed abstract model for a Printer Port (Print Data Channel) in
    section 2.2.9 'Interfaces', section 2.2.10 'Print Job Delivery
    Channels', section 2.2.11 'Interpreters', and the 'prtChannelTable'
    and 'prtInterpreterTable' in section 6 of the IETF Printer MIB v2
    [RFC3805].

(f) A standard format for machine-readable and human-readable Printer
    Device capabilities in section 7.6 'Device ID' of [IEEE1284].

Network printers that support SNMP are now common.  However, only vendor
MIBs currently expose detailed printer capabilities.  Therefore, this
document defines a simple, free-standing, standard MIB written in IETF
SMIv2 [RFC2578] that supports automatic installation of printer device
drivers, printer status monitoring, and other basic printing
applications, based on a table of Printer Ports with their capabilities
including the machine-readable 'Device ID' defined in [IEEE1284].

3.2 Use Models for PPM MIB

3.2.1 Network Spooler

The PPM MIB MAY be implemented by a network spooler (typically running
on a general-purpose network server along with other applications) that
supports one or more downstream network printers.

If the network spooler implements the IETF Host Resources MIB [RFC1514]
[RFC2790], then it SHOULD implement a row in the 'hrDeviceTable' with
'hrDeviceType' of 'hrDevicePrinter' for each downstream network printer.

If the network spooler implements the IETF Printer MIB [RFC1759]
[RFC3805], then it SHOULD implement a row in the 'prtGeneralTable' and a
row in 'prtChannelTable' for each configured port for each downstream
network printer.

3.2.2 External Network Adapter

The PPM MIB MAY be implemented by an external network adapter that
supports one or more locally-attached printers.

If the network adapter implements the IETF Host Resources MIB [RFC1514]
[RFC2790], then it SHOULD implement a row in the 'hrDeviceTable' with
'hrDeviceType' of 'hrDevicePrinter' for each locally-attached printer.
The same value of `hrDeviceIndex' SHOULD be used for the same physical
printer (even if several distinct ports are configured).

If the network adapter implements the IETF Printer MIB [RFC1759]
[RFC3805], then it SHOULD implement a row in the 'prtGeneralTable' and a
row in 'prtChannelTable' for each configured port for each
locally-attached printer.

3.2.3 Network Printer

The PPM MIB MAY be implemented by a network printer (typically running
an embedded operating system and possibly other imaging applications).

If the network printer implements the IETF Host Resources MIB [RFC1514]
[RFC2790], then it SHOULD implement a row in the 'hrDeviceTable' with
'hrDeviceType' of 'hrDevicePrinter'.

If the network printer implements the IETF Printer MIB [RFC1759]
[RFC3805], then it SHOULD implement a row in the 'prtGeneralTable' and a
row in 'prtChannelTable' for each configured port.

3.3 Design Requirements for PPM MIB

(1) The PPM MIB design MUST follow all object naming and MIB structuring
    requirements defined in IETF SMIv2 [RFC2578] (see section 3.1).

(2) The PPM MIB design SHOULD follow all best practices defined in IETF
    Guidelines for Authors and Reviewers of MIB Documents [MIB-GUIDE]
    (see section 3.1).

(3) The PPM MIB design SHOULD include all of the content defined in the
    Microsoft Port MIB proposal (see sections 1.2 and 3.1).

(4) The PPM MIB design MUST NOT require implementation of any version of
    the IETF Host Resources [RFC1514] [RFC2790] or IETF Printer MIB
    [RFC1759] [RFC3805] (for low implementation cost - see section 3.1).

(5) The PPM MIB design MUST support automatic device driver installation
    by operating systems (see sections 1.2 and 3.2).

(6) The PPM MIB design MUST support status monitoring of Device entries
    in the IETF Host Resources [RFC1514] [RFC2790] (see sections 3.2 and
    4.2.3).

(7) The PPM MIB design MUST support status monitoring of General entries
    in the IETF Printer MIB [RFC1759] [RFC3805] (see sections 3.2 and
    4.2.4).

(8) The PPM MIB design SHOULD support access to Channel entries in the
    IETF Printer MIB [RFC1759] [RFC3805] (see sections 3.2 and 4.2.4).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[move remainder of old section 2 to new section 4 - see below]

4  Overview of PPM MIB

4.1 Structure of PPM MIB

    <old section 2.3 moved here>

4.2 Relationship to Other MIBs

    <old section 4.2 moved here>

<etc.>

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[add to section 'Normative References']

[IEEE1284] Standard Signalling Method for a Bidirectional Parallel
           Peripheral Interface for Personal Computers, IEEE 1284-2000.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

[add to section 'Informative References']

[RFC2567] Wright.  "Design Goals for an Internet Printing Protocol",
          RFC 2567, April 1999.

[RFC2568] Zilles.  "Rationale for the Structure of the Model and
          Protocol for the Internet Printing Protocol", RFC 2568,
          April 1999.

------------------------------------------------------------------------