Subject: PMP> FW: General Request for Assignments (missing 'unknown' values)

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:17:28 -0700

Hi folks,                                      Thursday (11 August 2005)

Below is the update for missing 'unknown(2)' special values in three
textual conventions defined in the IANA-PRINTER-MIB.  These missing
'unknown(2)' values were technical errors in Printer MIB v1 (RFC 1759)
and Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805).

This update will allow the new Printer Port Monitor MIB to use a syntax
of PrtChannelTypeTC for the ppmPortProtocolType object (as recently
requested by Bert Wijnen).  This update will improve interoperability
among Printer MIB implementations.

I have just submitted these updates to IANA for registration in the
IANA-PRINTER-MIB, after review and approval by our Designated Experts,
Bert Wijnen and Harry Lewis.

Cheers,
- Ira (co-editor of Printer MIB v2)

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:12 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: General Request for Assignments

Contact Name :
Ira McDonald

Contact Email :
[email-masked]

Type of Assignment :
Missing special values in 3 existing textual conventions:

(1) PrtCoverStatusTC - add missing special value
        unknown(2),          -- Not in RFC 3805

(2) PrtChannelTypeTC - add missing special value
        unknown(2),          -- Not in RFC 3805

(3) PrtAlertGroupTC - add missing special value
        unknown(2),          -- Not in RFC 3805

(4) PrtAlertGroupTC - delete erroneous ASN.1 comment
        -- (2) is reserved for conformance information

Registry :
IANA-PRINTER-MIB (first published in RFC 3805), archived at:

  http://www.iana.org/assignments/ianaprinter-mib

Description :
These missing special values cause interoperability problems between
implementations of the Printer MIB.  All of the other textual conventions
defined in the IANA Printer MIB defined 'unknown(2)' (typically the
appropriate default value).  The missing special values constitute a
technical error in Printer MIB v1 (RFC 1759) and Printer MIB v2 (RFC 3805).

Additional Info :
Printer MIB v2, RFC 3805, June 2004 (see section 7)

This update has been discussed on the Printer MIB mailing list and discussed
with our recently appointed Designated Experts:

- Bert Wijnen ([email-masked])
- Harry Lewis ([email-masked])

In fact, Bert Wijnen originally suggested this update.