Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> FW: [Desktop_printing] Wed 11 Jan 12pm EST - Printing Summit conc all

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:07:49 -0800

Hi,

FYI - The OSDL folks in Portland are organizing an Open Printing
Summit somewhere in the Eastern US (probably Atlanta, GA - see
below) this March or April.

There will be a planning conference call this Wednesday.

The link to the public survey results below is wrong, but here's
the correct link:

http://www.zoomerang.com/reports/public_report.zgi?ID=L22HUWN67SPA

This will be a good opportunity for printer vendors and open source
developers to meet and talk about improving Linux printing.

Cheers,
- Ira (for Free Standards Group Open Printing Steering Committee)

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of John Cherry
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 1:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Desktop_printing] Wed 11 Jan 12pm EST - Printing Summit
concall

I realize this is fairly short notice, but it makes sense to have a
quick conference call with those that may be attending the Open Printing
Summit to settle on time and location.

Call Time: Wednesday, January 11, 9:00AM (Pacific)
Tollfree: 1-800-211-0633
Toll: 1-719-8670485
Passcode: 951064

Check out the results of the participants survey...

http://www.zoomerang.com/reports/survey-reports.zgi?ID=L22HUWMWZFTW

This gives us a general feel for availability, but does not really
identify dates that do NOT work for key participants.  Hence, the call.
If you have not had the chance to provide feedback on your availability
for the summit, the survey will remain open until we hold the conference
call.

http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224WDCE5A4K

Since the text fields cannot be viewed to keep personal data
confidential, the following information might be of interest to the
group concerning a possible venue and additional agenda items (already
discussed on the mailing list).

Possible venue
==============
Ricoh Corporation
2300 Parklake Drive, NE
Atlanta, GA 30345 USA

Additional Agenda items
=======================
(1)
The standard format for print job transfer should be moved from
PostScript to PDF, to have a more powerful format and a format which is
better supported by free software, as free GhostScript is old software
which is not maintained well but XPDF is well-maintained and XPDF people
are more cooperative with the CUPS project. One should add IJS, CUPS,
and OpenPrinting vector interfaces to XPDF to talk with drivers and
modularize the remaining GhostScript compile-in drivers into one
legacy-driver IJS plug-in (GhostScript aware developers needed for
that). A side effect of separating all drivers from GhostScript is also
that by adding IJS, CUPS, and OpenPrinting vector interfaces to Cairo
one could print on embedded systems without memory-consuming high-level
transfer formats (PDF, PostScript).

(2)
Certification Program Although many printers work together with Linux,
there are many others that do not. For end-users, selecting a printer
that works with Linux is a non-trivial process that requires substantial
research with the help of websites such as LinuxPrinting.org. A
certfication and branding program can help to identify Linux operating
systems and printer hardware that are guaranteed to work together.
Discussion items for printer vendors and OSVs: * Is your organisation
interested in participating in a certfication program for printers? In
what role? * What is the primary value that a certification program
should bring to your organisation? And for participants in general: *
What should the technical requirements and criteria be wrt certification
of printer drivers on one hand and Linux OS'es on the other.

(3)
Color management Color management :-) Color management :-) :-) Extended
precision printing Extended driver attributes (e. g. curves)

Cheers,
-- 
John Cherry
Initiative Manager
503-906-1929

---

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:19:11 -0700

Ideally, we would collocate in April. We have Mt. Laurel, NJ scheduled 
(Oki hosting). We may want to move this to Piscataway if the volume would 
appear to overwhelm our host.
---------------------------------------------- 
Harry Lewis 
IBM STSM
Chairman - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
http://www.pwg.org
IBM Printing Systems 
http://www.ibm.com/printers
303-924-5337
---------------------------------------------- 

"McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
01/09/2006 12:07 PM

To
"[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
PWG-ANNOUNCE> FW: [Desktop_printing] Wed 11 Jan 12pm EST - Printing Summit 
conc    all

Hi,

Cheers,

-----Original Message-----

Possible venue
==============
Ricoh Corporation
2300 Parklake Drive, NE
Atlanta, GA 30345 USA

Additional Agenda items
=======================
(1)

(2)

(3)

Cheers,
-- 
John Cherry
Initiative Manager
503-906-1929