Subject: Re: Handling of External Host Objects (in the context of domain transfer)

From: Daniel Manley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:48:01 -0500

I've been reading over this thread a bit more to get a better understanding.
I didn't see any response to this sub-thread created by Hong (though perhaps
it's been beat to death and I just haven't gotten to that part yet).

I believe that Hong's suggestion in this additional wording:

> "A transfer request or approval MUST fail with EPP error code 2305 if host
> objects representing the external hosts _do not exist_ for the requesting
> client at the time a transfer request is made and at the time the transfer
> request is approved."

It seems to essentially echo Asbjorn's comment earlier in [1] regarding automagically
swapping the host references out of convenience.  I personally like this
suggestion -- I wish somehow this was possible with contacts.  It helps simplify
the domain transfer process.

Dan

[1] http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2002-10/msg00102.html

Liu, Hong a écrit:

Jim, Asbjorn,

There are two topics that are intervined on this thread of discussions:

(1) The wording on handling (multi-copy) external hosts for domain transfer,
and
(2) Single-copy vs. multi-copy for external host objects

In this email, I would like to address (1). I will change the thread to more
accurately reflect the discussion in a follow-up email.

For completeness, let me quote the paragraph in epp domain -05 again:

"DNS domains can be delegated to external hosts. If a domain has been
delegated to an external host, a client MUST have created a host object for
each delegation to an external host before requesting a domain transfer. A
transfer request or approval MUST fail with EPP error code 2305 if host
objects representing the external hosts are not managed by the requesting
client at the time a transfer request is made and at the time the transfer
request is approved."

The main problem I have is with the last sentence "...MUST fail...if...are
not managed by the requesting client...". Maybe the better wording would be:

"A transfer request or approval MUST fail with EPP error code 2305 if host
objects representing the external hosts _do not exist_ for the requesting
client at the time a transfer request is made and at the time the transfer
request is approved."

Then add the following sentence:

"If the appropriate external hosts exist at the time of a transfer approve
or transfer auto-approve, then the registry SHOULD update the external host
references for the domain from the losing registrar to the gaining registrar
at the same time the pendingTransfer status is removed and the sponsoring
registrar is changed."

Thoughts?

--Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: Gould, James [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 9:13 AM
To: [email-masked]'; 'Liu, Hong'
Subject: RE: Handling of External Host Objects (in the context of domain
t ransfer)

Hong,

[snip]

As far as domain transfers are related to external hosts, additional
validation checks can be built into the registry to ensure that the
requesting registrar has the appropriate external hosts on a transfer
request, transfer approve, or transfer auto-approve. If the appropriate
external hosts exist at the time of a transfer approve or transfer
auto-approve, than the registry can update the external host references from
the domain at the same time the pendingTransfer status is removed and the
sponsoring registrar is changed. If the appropriate external hosts do not
exist, than the transfer request, transfer approve or transfer auto-approve
will fail. The EPP poll messages can be used to keep both the sponsoring
and requesting registrars informed throughout the transfer process.

Jim

----------
From: Liu, Hong
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 8:09 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: Handling of External Host Objects (in the context of
domain t ransfer)

Hi, Asbjorn,

Thanks for discussing this topic. This is my response to your posting [1].
For some reason, I did not get the posting directly from the mailer. I
just
found that out by looking throught the mail archive. The following
presenation is somewhat awkward since I have to quote your email.

Quote:
"I don't understand the first part here, why would the losing registrar
need
to delete the link to the external host before transfer? He would only
need
to go to the new registrar and create the external host there (if it is
not
already there), request the transfer, and the domain would automagically
swap to "using" the newly created external host when the transfer is
completed. The domain will resolve during the whole process."
Answer:
The paragraph I quoted from epp domain mapping is the following:
"DNS domains can be delegated to external hosts. If a domain has been
delegated to an external host, a client MUST have created a host object
for
each delegation to an external host before requesting a domain transfer. A
transfer request or approval MUST fail with EPP error code 2305 if host
objects representing the external hosts are not managed by the requesting
client at the time a transfer request is made and at the time the transfer
request is approved."
So in my previous email, 2(a) is the result of the last sentence, while
2(b)
is the restatement of the second sentence. The main problem is with 2(a).
What is your read on the last sentence above?

[snip]

--
Daniel Manley
Tucows, Inc.
Toronto, Canada
[email-masked]