Subject: UDP as a transport

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:44:06 -0500

After some more consultation with a Transport AD, we are being 
"urged" to disallow the use of UDP as a transport for EPP.  Based on 
this, who will take issue with:

(Paraphrasing) EPP MUST NOT use a datagram-based transport protocol. 
E.g., EPP MUST NOT be run using UDP or anyother protocol that does 
not natively provide reliability and congestion control services.

That wording is meant to provoke discussion - I am not proposing that 
text for inclusion in the specification.  We can derive that text 
once we hear comments on this thread.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:59:37 -0500

On Tuesday, Nov 19, 2002, at 12:44 Canada/Eastern, Edward Lewis wrote:

> After some more consultation with a Transport AD, we are being "urged" 
> to disallow the use of UDP as a transport for EPP.  Based on this, who 
> will take issue with:
>
> E.g., EPP MUST NOT be run using UDP or anyother protocol that does not 
> natively provide reliability and congestion control services.

It might be better to specify the specific objectionable aspects of a 
UDP transport that should not feature in a transport, rather than 
talking about a datagram-based transport.

For example, the fact that requests over UDP can be submitted with 
trivially spoofed source addresses, or that encryption or 
transport-layer authentication has to happen per transaction, rather 
than per session, might be characteristics which should not feature in 
an EPP transport protocol.

Mandating reliability seems like a poor idea (how do you do SMTP 
transport if you need transport-layer reliability?)

Joe

---

From: Bruce Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 19:16:29 +0100 (CET)

> not natively provide reliability and congestion control services.

I'd flip it around, and require that EPP MUST be run on a transport that
provides reliability and congestion control services.  This should also
exclude some of the other estotic transports as well.

--==--
Bruce.