Subject: format of contents of <domain:curExpDate>

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:52:44 -0500

Hi,

In draft-ietf-provreg-epp-domain-05, section 3.2.3 "EPP <renew> 
Command", the required format of the characters within the 
<domain:curExpDate> element is not specified.

The example which follows contains an element whose contents are 
formatted as "YYYY-MM-DD", but no reference is made to this in the 
text. The XML Schema defines the contents as "date", if I'm reading 
that right, but "date" doesn't appear to be defined within the schemas 
presented in the EPP and domain mapping drafts, so that's not helping 
me.

Elsewhere (e.g. in the <qDate> element described in 
draft-ietf-provreg-epp-07) dates are required to be in RFC3339 format.  
It would seem to serve the cause of consistency if this format was also 
adopted for <domain:curExpDate>, perhaps with a requirement for servers 
to also support YYYY-MM-DD to accommodate deployed code based on 
earlier drafts.

Whatever the format turns out to be, it would be a good thing if the 
nature of the contents of <domain:curExpDate> could be clearly 
specified in the domain mapping document.

Joe