Subject: date-time values in EPP

From: Antony Perkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 14:48:46 -0000

I can't seem to find anything in the EPP documents that specifies how many
digits to use to represent fractions of a second in date-time values.

The examples all seem to use 1 digit. Is this mandatory, or can more or less
precise values be used?

It would be nice to have some guidance on this, especially as RFC3339 states
that fractions of a second are a rarely used option.

Antony Perkov
Poptel

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:40:33 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Antony Perkov [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 9:49 AM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: date-time values in EPP
> 
> 

More precision can be used.  See below.

> that fractions of a second are a rarely used option.

The EPP documents have normative references to RFC 3339 and the XML Schema
specifications.  3339 specifies this syntax for fractions of a second:

time-fraction     = ("," / ".") 1*DIGIT

which means at least 1 digit with no upper limit on the number of digits.

The EPP documents use the XML Schema "dateTime" data type.  The XML Schema
text for the dateTime data types says this:

"Additional digits can be used to increase the precision of fractional
seconds if desired i.e the format ss.ss... with any number of digits after
the decimal point is supported."

So, it's all there in the normative references and the normative data type
definition.

-Scott-