Subject: milestone discussion

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:42:53 -0500

FYI -

Just to keep the WG in the loop of what's happening, this is a 
message I sent to Patrik concerning our milestones.

What's here isn't complete list of issues, e.g., last verified and 
external hosts are two that come to mind, but I don't anticipate them 
being milestone changers.

----------------------------------------

To replace all of our remaining milestones, I propose something like this.

FEB 03 Submit Guidelines for Extending the EPP to IESG (Informational)
SEP 03 Perform Interoperability Tests
OCT 03 Submit Interoperability Report to IESG (Informational)
OCT 03 Submit Extensible Provisioning Protocol to IESG (Draft)
OCT 03 Submit EPP Contact Mapping to IESG (Draft)
OCT 03 Submit EPP Domain Name Mapping to IESG (Draft)
OCT 03 Submit EPP Host Mapping to IESG (Draft)
OCT 03 Submit EPP Transport Over TCP to IESG (Draft)

I'm assuming that we can respond to the IESG soon for the immediate 
comments, and that we hit Proposed Standard by March or so.

Here are some unknowns -

0) Successfully addressing all the IESG concerns.  I think we are 
real close to this.  I'm assuming that by the second week in January 
we can have a 'formal reply' to everything.  Sooner if it weren't for 
the holidays.

1) Issues arising.  We have some recent entrants to the 
implementation game and they have found a significant, recognized 
issue.  (Other issues have been smoothed over with discussion.)  The 
question (for Patrik) is:

o Do we continue to press the current specs through the IESG and 
address the issues at DS level?

o Do we continue to press the current specs through the IESG and 
address the issues are a return to PS?  (Does the 6 month clock 
restart or not?)

o Do we stop pressing the current specs through the IESG and address 
the issues before achieving PS at all?

I don't think the issues are EPP-shattering, but seem to need some 
working.  (The ROID issue is what I have in mind.)

2) "Other transports".  So far there has been little demand for EPP 
via SOAP beyond the conversations in the face to face meeting in 
Atlanta.  I haven't seen a revision.  I'm inclined to omit it at this 
time, but perhaps consider it at Experimental if coerced.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                          +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer