Subject: RE: milestones, was Re: a week later...

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:21:14 -0500

> (I admit that I don't have a list of the implementers handy, so I'll 
> call out names of the ones I can think of: Scott, Bruce, Dan, 
> Michael, Jordyn, as well as Hong and Rick - what do you guys think?)

I know that some of the VeriSign software developers are interested in SOAP
because tools are easy to find and allegedly easy to use.  I personally have
concerns from a performance perspective about adding additional XML and HTTP
layers, but I'll concede that there are probably environments in which ease
of development might outweigh performance.

Given that SOAP is still evolving, putting this on the experimental track
might make sense if there's really sufficient implementation interest.

-Scott-

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 09:32:55 -0800 (PST)

> might make sense if there's really sufficient implementation interest.

I'd go one step further... an individual submission is ok too.

I wouldn't be sad to see this group go into hybernation or declare success
and close. I hope the mailing list would continue but let the IETF work
finish.

I will implement a EPP over SOAP+HTTPS should someone draft something
up. I'm all for interopability but if there is just two folks looking at
running this stuff I don't see the need to task the wg with the burdon of
a standards track document.

let the SOAP draft be an individual submission of an experemental
protocol.

best,

-rick

---

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 16:35:59 -0500

> > might make sense if there's really sufficient implementation interest.

I certainly would have no objection to experimental track.. I just hope 
folks will understand that over time the uses for this protocol may expand 
..and as such people MAY wish to use transport layers that have a wider 
base of support and tool kits available.

Over time I think folks will see the value of this work ..

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:31:21 -0800 (PST)

Richard,

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Richard Shockey wrote:

> ...and as such people MAY wish to use transport layers that have a wider

I understand where you are comming from -- there is alot of general
interest in SOAP. So submit the I-D, the IESG is gonna ask us to take a
look at it any way.lets see the draft, there is nothing preventing you
from droping a copy to this list.

I think the number of things that can be provisioned over EPP is much
wider than this group has experence with. Having to manage a mult-ventor
SIP phone deployment is just one such endevor I'd love to see some folks
EPP standardize, but not in this wg. Lets charter specific groups to do
specific work.

best,

-rick