Subject: RE: lastVerified: optional vs. extension

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:15:24 -0500

> > 
> > Sorry, but I don't remember you suggesting anything other 
> than the .de
> > model, and I don't recall you ever addressing how that 
> model deals with bulk
> > updates efficiently.  If you did, would you please point me 
> to your proposal
> > in the list archives?
> > 
> 
> for example:
>    http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2001-08/msg00018.html

Thanks for refreshing my memory -- I was a bit confused between the .de
model and the minor differences you pointed out at the bottom of your
message.  That message doesn't mention the bulk update issue at all, though
in the thread that follows other folks note some issues with how the model
makes it difficult to maintain consistent data views across all involved
parties.  I think Jordyn summed up the situation quite nicely with the last
sentence of this message:

http://www.cafax.se/ietf-provreg/maillist/2001-08/msg00119.html

"There are reasonable arguments on both sides of this debate, and no
fool-proof solution has been presented that solves all of the issues
raised."

I'm done.

-Scott-

---

From: Klaus Malorny <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 17:12:14 +0100

Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:

> That message doesn't mention the bulk update issue at all, though
> parties.

If anyone who has understood this model is unable to imagine how consistency is 
maintained should feel free to contact me off the list. As I said earlier, I 
don't think it make sense to discuss this any further here on the list.

> I think Jordyn summed up the situation quite nicely with the last

Yes, let us close with this beautiful sentence having this nearly non-sensible 
whiff of "get lost, we've already made our decisions", which I complied with then.

> -Scott-

So am I.

regards,

Klaus

___________________________________________________________________________
      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      [email-masked]             Tel. +49 231 9703 0