Subject: Re: privacy

From: Richard Shockey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:13:20 -0500

One way to solve the problem resign into the list

At 05:50 PM 1/8/2003 +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:29:29AM -0800,
>  Rick Wesson <[email-masked]> wrote
>  a message of 32 lines which said:
>
> > IMHO, privacy needs to be addressed in a superset of the protocols (epp,
> > crisp, whois) and a specific group tasked with that job;
>
>This is very reasonable (sorry for the fine members of the Provreg
>group but last-minute attempts to solve a problem as large as the
>privacy policies in a few lines of patch to the I-D are quite
>laughable).

Excellent point,  I could not agree more ... IMHO all of this goes to the 
much larger issue of privacy policy across all IETF protocols and that is 
something that is clearly outside the scope of PROVREG.

IMHO  the IESG should withdraw the privacy requirement for EPP and allow 
the existing documents to go forward to PS until such time as the IETF 
community can get some clear architectural direction and consensus on where 
we want go.

Frankly all of the proposed solutions to the privacy requirement have a 
strong smell of duct tape, bailing wire and used chewing gum. Yes these 
things can work but its not a particularly good archichecture in the long term

Some of you may remember that I stood up at the plenary in Atlanta and 
asked the IESG specifically about where IETF is going with privacy issues 
and I believe it was Steve Bellovin who mentioned that there was ongoing 
work in this area but it was not ready yet.

Well I submit its time ..or at the very least I would suggest that there is 
consensus for a BOF in SF on "Where is the IETF going with Privacy issues?"

>But such a group already exists: W3C's P3P group. P3P can be used for
>more than Web sites and they are willing to do what it needs to extend
>their framework to registry privacy policies.

well that said I'm not sure about timetables... I've personally attended 
the workshop that W3C had on the future of P3P and given the time it took 
to get the highly limited and constrained P3P 1.0 out I don't hold out much 
hope they can be relied on here if timing is a issue. You can all read 
their final report ..

##########

From: Daniel Weitzner <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "w3c-P3P-specification@w3. Org" <[email-masked]>,
    [email-masked]
Subject: P3P Workshop report now available
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:58:22 -0500
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2653.19)
List-Help: <http://www.w3.org/Mail/>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
Content-Type: text/plain;
         charset="iso-8859-1"

Dear colleagues,

I'm happy to announce that the summary report on the Future of P3P Workshop
is now available at:

         http://www.w3.org/2002/12/18-p3p-workshop-report.html

On behalf of Lorrie & myself, thanks to all of you for your thoughtful
participation and for preparing the action plans for future work. Those
plans are now all linked from the end of the workshop report. The P3P
Coordination Group will be looking in detail those and propose to this
mailing list draft charter(s) for future P3P work. Any new work will
ultimately have to be review by the W3C Advisory Committee, but I believe
that we should use this mailing list of workshop participants to develop the
proposals together.

The workshop report is publicly accessible so feel free to pass along the
URL to others who may be interested.

Best for a Happy New Year,

Danny Weitzner

--
Daniel J. Weitzner                              +1.617.253.8036 (MIT)
World Wide Web Consortium                       +1.202.364.4750 (DC)
Technology & Society Domain Leader              <[email-masked]>
http://www.w3.org/People/Weitzner.html

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>
  <http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<