Subject: Re: side bar, was Re: [ietf-provreg] Our "Privacy Issue"

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 12:42:54 +0200

> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 03:10, Ram Mohan wrote:
    > > Last time I checked, at least half a dozen registries are running EPP
    > > operationally.  .INFO (02); .ORG(07), .BIZ(04), .US(04?), .AU(05),
    > > .NL(?)plus a bunch more ccTLDs.
    > 
    > ...and .NAME(05)...
    > 
    ...and .SG(04) and soon to be .BZ(04 or 07)
    
To be (IETF) polical correct, the last time I checked, there was no
EPP at all. Note that the IETF discourages the use of dratfs in any
form. See attached scitation from RFC 2026. So, at best one can
talk about "by the IETF provreg-WG insprired" protocol.

And for good order, .NL is not using anything which remotely
looks like EPP.

	jaap

RFC 2026, section 2.6

   An Internet-Draft is NOT a means of "publishing" a specification;
   specifications are published through the RFC mechanism described in
   the previous section.  Internet-Drafts have no formal status, and are
   subject to change or removal at any time.

      ********************************************************
      *                                                      *
      *   Under no circumstances should an Internet-Draft    *
      *   be referenced by any paper, report, or Request-    *
      *   for-Proposal, nor should a vendor claim compliance *
      *   with an Internet-Draft.                            *
      *                                                      *
      ********************************************************

---

From: "Ram Mohan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:20:16 -0500

agreed, under IETF "Correct " rules.

reality is that EPP has taken off and no-one is waiting for the RFC to
implement - we have much more than just prototypes :)

-ram
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaap Akkerhuis" <[email-masked]>
To: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Asbjorn Mikkelsen" <[email-masked]>; "Ram Mohan"
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 5:42 AM
Subject: Re: side bar, was Re: [ietf-provreg] Our "Privacy Issue"

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:57:14 -0500

>implement - we have much more than just prototypes :)

Great news.  This is the way it is supposed to work.  Running code 
and all that...but now we want to make sure the running code bases 
interoperate.

As the chair I would encourage those who have taken the time to write 
code and deploy to speak out about their experiences, operational 
considerations, and what they feel about the specification.  That's 
what the WG is here for.

My statement should not be taken in the context of reprimanding any 
effort for not doing so - but rather an encouragement for those who 
have not so far.  The documents that Scott is editing are reflections 
of the discussion on this mailing list (and not what is done face to 
face, nor what he feels like saying), so, please speak up.

But you say that we are too far towards RFC'ing the current drafts? 
Well, that's because we can't wait for folks to voice opinions.  Keep 
in mind that becoming an RFC means (in IETF speak), it means, well, 
not much!  The documents will be coming out as Proposed Standard (if 
and when), which is the first rung on the standards ladder. 
Standards have "re-cycled" at Proposed, eventually progressing to 
Draft and then, in rare instances, to Full.

It's never too late to comment.

Also - even if this WG closes down after the current set of documents 
reach PS, this mail list will stay open (perhaps moving servers if 
the current hosts wish) for continuing discussion.  At some time in 
the future, when it is thought that the specs are ready for DS, a new 
group will be convened to make that happen.

So, it's never too late to comment.

Where I expect to see comments arise in the future is when a 
registrar tries to register names in, say, .nl, .sg, and .info. 
That'll be when interoperability is put to the test.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

I've had it with world domination.  The maintenance fees are too high.