Subject: [ietf-provreg] pendingCreate should allow domain update

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:26:55 -0500

Hi,

Currently, the EPP doc defines that on pendingCreate, no domain updates are
allowed.  This poses a chicken and egg problem: for example many times, upon
a pendingCreate the registry may require the registrant to change the admin
contact for local presence requirements.  If the registrant is not able to
update the domain, then the domain cannot be approved...

Thoughts?

Edmon

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 19:18:52 -0800 (PST)

> update the domain, then the domain cannot be approved...

If it is the contact that needs to be updated, then you don't have to
update the association between the domain and the contact. If the contact
has a pendingCreate then you have a problem.

-rick

---

From: "Edmon Chung" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 23:48:53 -0500

But the issue is that the contact might need to be replaced.
Another issue is that some registries require name servers to be properly
setup before domain creation is approved.  And it may be necessary to
replace or add name servers.
Edmon

---

From: janusz sienkiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 17:23:01 -0500

Allowing domain updates on pendingCreate looks like a registry specific policy.
Usually a request results in pendingCreate status because some manual or
external processing is required. In many cases it may not be even feasible for
a registry to modify the process because I of update. If update of a domain in
pendingCreate state is really necessary such case should be handled within epp
extensions.

Janusz Sienkiewicz