Subject: RE: [ietf-provreg] New I/D: draft-hoeneisen-enum-validation-epp-0 0

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:10:52 -0400

OK, I had a chance to take a closer look.  I noticed that you're using a
31-character token for the E.164 number.  Why is that?  An E.164 number can
contain no more than 15 digits per E.164, so why allow a maximum of 31?  For
what it's worth I used a type like this in the EPP contact mapping:

  <simpleType name="e164StringType">
    <restriction base="token">
      <pattern value="(\+[0-9]{1,3}\.[0-9]{1,14})?"/>
      <maxLength value="17"/>
    </restriction>
  </simpleType>

With this you get the "+".  The country code and the local part are
separated by a "." (we did that in provreg mostly for "human eyes" reasons).
The "+" and the "." added to the max E.164 length of 15 digits gives a
maximum token length of 17 characters.

Also, throughout the document s/März/March/

-Scott-

---

From: Bernie Hoeneisen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:44:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Scott!

Thanks for your feedback!

> what it's worth I used a type like this in the EPP contact mapping:

The idea behind this was to leave it a Registry policy issue (or up to the 
validation method documentation), what format to use, in order to keep it 
as generic as possible. This would allow over-dialing, and characters 
such as "-", "(", ")" as seperators. Furthermore one could 
describe number ranges, e.g. "+41-44-26815xx", with this format.
I do not have a strong opinion on which format to use for this.

> Also, throughout the document s/März/March/

Ouuppps...!
This is due to a bug in the "xml2rfc" package. It used my locale settings, 
i.e. the environment variable "LC_TIME=de_CH" although any output 
documents of the xml2rfc tool are in English. I have submitted a Bug 
Report and informed the Debian maintainer about this issue. I even got 
immediately a patch!
However, this will be correct in the next revision.

cheers,
  Bernie