Subject: [ietf-provreg] Clarification re. localized data in EPP Contact Mapping (RFC3733)

From: Klaus Malorny <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 11:09:01 +0200 (MEST)

Hi Scott et al.,

I am a bit in doubt whether I understand the EPP Contact Mapping document 
(RFC3733) correctly regarding the use of localized data for the 
name/organization and address, therefore I would appreciate if you could comment it:

   - IMHO it is within the registry's policy to accept only "loc" versions or
     only "int" versions. EPP does not mandate that both are accepted.

   - IMHO it is within the registry's policy to accept only a subset of
     the Unicode character set (which is still a superset of ASCII) for
     the "loc" versions. EPP does not mandate that the full Unicode set
     is accepted.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Klaus

___________________________________________________________________________
      |       |
      | knipp |                   Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                           Technologiepark
                                         Martin-Schmeißer-Weg 9
      Dipl. Inf. Klaus Malorny           44227 Dortmund
      [email-masked]             Tel. +49 231 9703 0

---

From: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:23:33 +0200 (MEST)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Klaus Malorny [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 5:09 AM
> To: [email-masked]; Hollenbeck, Scott
> Subject: Clarification re. localized data in EPP Contact 
> Mapping (RFC3733)
> 
> 
> 
> Hi Scott et al.,
> 

This is the relevent text:

"One or two <contact:postalInfo> elements that contain postal address
information."

and

"If an internationalized form (type="int") is provided, element content
MUST be represented in a subset of UTF-8 that can be represented in the
7-bit US-ASCII character set.  If a localized form (type="loc") is
provided, element content MAY be represented in unrestricted UTF-8."

>      only "int" versions. EPP does not mandate that both are accepted.

Agreed.  "One or two".

>      the "loc" versions. EPP does not mandate that the full 

Agreed.  "MAY be represented in unrestricted UTF-8", not "MUST".

-Scott-