Subject: Re: [provreg] Contacts after a Domain Transfer

From: Keith Gaughan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:36:32 +0100

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:04:40PM -0400, Seth Goldman wrote:

> What do registrars typically do about contacts sponsored by a
> different registrar after a domain transfer? This situation seems
> undesirable, as it prevents the gaining registrar from updating
> registrant contact information in the future. Do registrars just make
> a new contact as a matter of course? Or do they try to transfer over
> the existing contact? The former seems more likely, as the latter will
> not work if there are other domains with references to that contact
> object on the losing registrar.

I've integrated our domain management system with a good number of
registries at this point. I've noticed a number of different models for
handling contacts as part of domain transfers.

The first model is that contacts associated with the domain are
automatically duplicated upon the transfer of a domain.

Second is that the associated contacts are not duplicated, but the fact
that the contacts are associated with a domain under the registrar's
control transitively gives the registrar read-only access to the
existing contacts.  Naturally, this only works as long as the contacts
are associated, and can't be used as a way for registrars to get access
to the contact data of other registrars in general. This is much like
the temporary read-only typically granted to contacts before transfer
when a registrar has the ROID and authcode associated with a domain they
intend to transfer.

Finally, I've came across registries that give no access to contacts not
sponsored by the registrar in question and which do not duplicate
contacts.  Generally, I've been able to convince them to implement one
of the first two models.

We typically duplicate the existing contact unless we know beforehand
that the registry automatically duplicates the contact for us. As others
have said, contact transfers aren't typically implemented or even
useful.

K.

-- 
Keith Gaughan, Development Lead
PGP/GPG key ID: 82AC3634
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd. <http://blacknight.com/>
12A Barrowside Business Park, Carlow, Ireland
Registered in Ireland, Company No.: 370845

---

From: Jody Kolker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 13:17:31 +0000

At GoDaddy, we have always created new contacts with the current contact information after the transfer so that the customer can manage the contact at Go Daddy. 

Thanks,
Jody Kolker
GoDaddy

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Keith Gaughan
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 6:37 AM
To: EPP Provreg
Subject: Re: [provreg] Contacts after a Domain Transfer

> object on the losing registrar.

I've integrated our domain management system with a good number of registries at this point. I've noticed a number of different models for handling contacts as part of domain transfers.

The first model is that contacts associated with the domain are automatically duplicated upon the transfer of a domain.

Second is that the associated contacts are not duplicated, but the fact that the contacts are associated with a domain under the registrar's control transitively gives the registrar read-only access to the existing contacts.  Naturally, this only works as long as the contacts are associated, and can't be used as a way for registrars to get access to the contact data of other registrars in general. This is much like the temporary read-only typically granted to contacts before transfer when a registrar has the ROID and authcode associated with a domain they intend to transfer.

Finally, I've came across registries that give no access to contacts not sponsored by the registrar in question and which do not duplicate contacts.  Generally, I've been able to convince them to implement one of the first two models.

We typically duplicate the existing contact unless we know beforehand that the registry automatically duplicates the contact for us. As others have said, contact transfers aren't typically implemented or even useful.

K.

--
Keith Gaughan, Development Lead
PGP/GPG key ID: 82AC3634
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd. <http://blacknight.com/> 12A Barrowside Business Park, Carlow, Ireland Registered in Ireland, Company No.: 370845 _______________________________________________
provreg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/provreg