Subject: Re: [provreg] namestoreExt-1.1 purpose/usage

From: Keith Gaughan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:03:28 +0100

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:10:56PM -0400, Ofer Nave wrote:

> I'm new to EPP, and am currently working on an implementation.
> 
> While implementing the check and info commands against the Verisign
> OT&E server, I discovered that they require the namestoreExt-1.1
> extension to be implemented, which basically means adding something
> like this to each command frame:

This isn't really the best list to be contacting on this subject. That's
a VeriSign specific extension. You really ought to be contacting
VeriSign's own support desk.

However...

> <extension>
>     <namestoreExt:namestoreExt xmlns:namestoreExt="http://www.verisign-grs.com/epp/namestoreExt-1.1">
> <namestoreExt:subProduct>dotCOM</namestoreExt:subProduct>
>     </namestoreExt:namestoreExt>
> </extension>

The namestore extension is used by Verisign's EPP infrastructure to
enable proxying of requests.

You see, the EPP server you connect to is simply a proxy in front of
other zone-specific EPP serves, so there's one for .com, one for .net,
&c.

To determine which of these backend EPP servers the request is to be
directed to, you include the namestore extension. Thus, the subproduct
'dotCOM' indicates that the request should be forwarded to the .com
backend EPP server, and so on.

I agree that it's not particularly clear. In my head, this kind of
proxying ought to be done at a transport level rather than at an
application level, but that's the way it's implemented in VeriSign's
case.

K.

-- 
Keith Gaughan, Development Lead
PGP/GPG key ID: 82AC3634
Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd. <http://blacknight.com/>
12A Barrowside Business Park, Carlow, Ireland
Registered in Ireland, Company No.: 370845