Subject: [provreg] namestoreExt-1.1 purpose/usage

From: Ofer Nave <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:10:56 -0400

Hello!

I'm new to EPP, and am currently working on an implementation.

While implementing the check and info commands against the Verisign OT&E 
server, I discovered that they require the namestoreExt-1.1 extension to 
be implemented, which basically means adding something like this to each 
command frame:

<extension>
     <namestoreExt:namestoreExt 
xmlns:namestoreExt="http://www.verisign-grs.com/epp/namestoreExt-1.1">
<namestoreExt:subProduct>dotCOM</namestoreExt:subProduct>
     </namestoreExt:namestoreExt>
</extension>

However, the docs 
(http://www.verisigninc.com/assets/namestore-extension.pdf) do not 
mention the purpose of this block, or the valid values.  I've guessed 
from using Verisign's epptool 
(https://epptool-ctld.verisign-grs.com/epptool/) that the valid values 
are 'dotCOM', 'dotNET', and 'dotEDU', though I get an authorization 
error when using 'dotEDU'.  However, I'm still confused as to the 
correct usage.

For example, the check command allows you to specify multiple domain 
names in one frame, which may have multiple TLDs.  I tested the 
submission of a frame checking for 'example.com' and 'example.net' in 
the same command, once with the subProduct set to 'dotCOM', and once 
with 'dotNET'.  Both times worked fine.

So really, what's the point of this extension?  And what value am I 
supposed to provide with it?

-ofer

---

From: "Gould, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 16:55:06 +0000

Ofer,

The namestore extension is a routing extension to specify the target registry for the command using a single EPP connection.  You must have privileges to execute a command against a specific target registry (e.g. dotEDU).  The check command is currently less strict.  The possible values for the extension currently is the TLD prefixed with "dot" but in the future simply the TLD will be supported.  Please contact Verisign Customer Support if you have any specific issues or questions.

Thanks,

JG

James F. Gould
Principal Engineer
Verisign

[email-masked]

On Jun 14, 2013, at 12:12 PM, "Ofer Nave" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> While implementing the check and info commands against the Verisign OT&E server, I discovered that they require the namestoreExt-1.1 extension to be implemented, which basically means adding something like this to each command frame:
> 
> <extension>
>    <namestoreExt:namestoreExt xmlns:namestoreExt="http://www.verisign-grs.com/epp/namestoreExt-1.1">
> However, the docs (http://www.verisigninc.com/assets/namestore-extension.pdf) do not mention the purpose of this block, or the valid values.  I've guessed from using Verisign's epptool (https://epptool-ctld.verisign-grs.com/epptool/) that the valid values are 'dotCOM', 'dotNET', and 'dotEDU', though I get an authorization error when using 'dotEDU'.  However, I'm still confused as to the correct usage.
> 
> For example, the check command allows you to specify multiple domain names in one frame, which may have multiple TLDs.  I tested the submission of a frame checking for 'example.com' and 'example.net' in the same command, once with the subProduct set to 'dotCOM', and once with 'dotNET'.  Both times worked fine.
> 
> So really, what's the point of this extension?  And what value am I supposed to provide with it?
> 
> -ofer
> _______________________________________________
> provreg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/provreg