Subject: [provreg] domain's ds is affected by domain's ns ?

From: 齐超 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:36:27 +0800

Hello, 

   There is a question about the relationship between domain's ns and DS.  

In RFC 5910, domain's DS can be created with domain and its ns. But in epp, domain-ns and ds may be operated(added/updated/removed) by different commands (RFC5910\RFC5731). 

So my questions are:

1、registrar can create a domain and its DS without NS ？

2、when registrar rem the last ns in <domain:update>, if the domain already has DS, will epp server return a failed response and suggest registrar delete the domain's DS at first ?

Is there any rules or good practice ? 

Please give some advice. Thanks a lot.

Best Regards.

                                qichao from CNNIC

---

From: Klaus Malorny <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 09:50:52 +0100

On 10.01.2014 03:36, 齐超 wrote:
> In RFC 5910, domain's DS can be created with domain and its ns. But in epp,
> domain-ns and ds may be operated(added/updated/removed) by different commands
> (RFC5910\RFC5731).
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 2、when registrar rem the last ns in <domain:update>, if the domain already
> has DS, will epp server return a failed response and suggest registrar delete
> the domain's DS at first ?
>

Hi 齐超,

I would clearly distinguish between the data management (via EPP) and the zone 
publishing. With the first, there are no real dependencies between the name 
servers and the DS data -- they are simply properties of the domain. Otherwise 
you would not only run into problems in the described case, but also if the 
domain is put on client or server hold. It only makes everything more 
complicated -- both for the registry and the registrar -- with no real benefit.

Instead, it is much easier to put the logic in the zone generation that the DS 
records are published if and only if there is at least one NS record to publish, 
which in turn depends on whether any name servers are defined and the domain 
shall actually be published as such in respect to the hold states and redemption 
period. Similarly, you probably will publish glue records for in-zone hosts of 
the domain under similar conditions (which is, by the way, far more complicated 
due to cascading effects).

So we do not have such dependencies in our own registry software, and I am not 
aware of any other that has them.

Regards,

Klaus

---

From: "Gould, James" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:44:45 +0000

Klaus,

Well put.  The NS and DS are independent from an EPP perspective, but the
combination of the NS and statuses will drive what makes it into the zone
inclusive of the DS.

-- 
 
JG

James Gould
Principal Software Engineer
[email-masked]
 
703-948-3271 (Office)
12061 Bluemont Way
Reston, VA 20190
VerisignInc.com

On 1/10/14, 3:50 AM, "Klaus Malorny" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>provreg mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/provreg