Subject: doubt reg draft-kawakami-mpls-lsp-vlan-00.txt (fwd)

From: D Siva Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:22:14 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
	I have a doubt regarding encapsulation mentioned in above
draft in section 4.

Encapsulation header is shown in the draft as:

      0                   1                   2                   3
      0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                 Ethernet destination address                  |
     |                               +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |                               |                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+                               |
     |                 Ethernet source address                       |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |         TPID  0x8100          | Pri | |        VID            |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
     |       E-Type       0x0800     |                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+                               |
     |                                                               |
     /                Network Layer Packet (IP packet)               /
     |                                                               |
     +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

But, in this where is the pseudowire label? directly, payload is added
after the tunnel header.

Correct me if I am wrong and please point some references if any,
regarding this. I am a beginner in this field.

expecting a reply, thanks in advance.

Siva.

---

From: "Genadi Velev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:04:49 +0200

Hi Siva,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply. Your email was forwarded to me by a
colleague, since I was not subscribed to the PWE3 ML at that time.

Our draft (draft-kawakami-mpls-lsp-vlan-00.txt) was initially intended for
the MPLS WG and not for the PWE3 WG. Thus, our method represents a technique
for tunneling of Ethernet packets over VLAN tag-aware switches using a VLAN
tag as a label (with other words, to form a point-to-point tunnel over an
Ethernet network). Therefore, our method cannot be used as a pseudowire
(tunnel) over an IP/MPLS-based network, as required in PWE3. This is the
reason, why you cannot find a pseudowire label in the packet header.

BTW, if you are interested, you can find a new version of this draft in:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kawakami-vlan-lsp-signalling-00.tx
t

I hope this helps.

regards,
Genadi

>
> Forwarded by kawakami tetsuya <[email-masked]>
> ----------------------- Original Message -----------------------
> From:    "D Siva Kumar" <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]
> Date:    Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:22:14 +0530 (IST)
> Subject: [PWE3] doubt reg draft-kawakami-mpls-lsp-vlan-00.txt (fwd)
> ----
>
>
>
> Hi,
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3
> --------------------- Original Message Ends --------------------
>