Subject: Re: New PWE3 Charter Items: SPVC Interworking

From: Peter Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:28:51 +0000

>  Further,  if the  interworking  in question  is going  to
> affect what runs on the IP side  (which seems likely, as no one will want to
> change the legacy side), then one may need to go where the IP expertise is.  

I see plenty of IP expertise in the other standards bodies and forums. Indeed 
Cisco sends many of its people to the other standards bodies and forums - are 
you saying those people Cisco send to both the IETF and the other bodies are 
not IP experts?

Peter Willis,
Office of the BT Group CTO.

---

From: Peter Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:54:14 +0000

>  For  instance, the  group that  did the
> original  technology  might  have  a  poor  understanding  of  the  evolving
> environment, and might  be very focused on a lot  of obsolete and irrelevant
> things  that needn't  be maintained  in the  environment where  the emulated
> technology  runs. 

This sort of attitude is why I would be unhappy with the IETF PWE3 WG dealing 
with SPVC interworking. How does the PWE3 WG know what is obsolete and 
irrelevant in the legacy services carriers wish supported? The whole converged 
network story becomes very weak and useless if the customers see the services 
change (or at least see those services become worse).

I don't want an emulation technology I want a network convergence technology.

Peter Willis