Subject: Re: l2vpn signaling (LDP/CR-LDP/RSVP-TE)

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:27:54 -0500

Hi Chris, it's always pleasant to be quoted!

At the time the Martini work started, "targeted RSVP" wasn't on anybody's 
radar screen.  As Kireeti points out, in hindsight it probably would have 
worked just fine.  In practice using LDP over TCP, I can't speak for anyone 
else, but we've found in our own implementation (both in testing and in the 
field) that scaling hasn't been a problem for tens of thousands of 
sessions/circuits, and we're continually raising the limits on our testing.

Cheers,
Andy

-----------

At 1/30/2004 11:56 AM -0500, Chris Chase wrote:
>How well are edge nodes going to scale for a full mesh of targeted LDP 
>sessions?  I keep hearing from vendors about connection limits on their 
>TCP stacks.  Whether it is BGP for CE-PE connections in 2547 services or 
>targeted LDP for PWE, it seems there are constant pressures on the number 
>of connections vendors can support.
>
>With RSVP for the vc label signaling I don't see the connection constrains 
>from a full mesh.  A couple years ago Andy Malis told me that not looking 
>at RSVP was simply because implementations were already starting down the 
>LDP road.
>
>Chris Chase