Subject: A few questions on draft-bryant-mcpherson-pwe3-cw-00.txt

From: Sasha Vainshtein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 23:59:12 +0200

Danny, Stewart and all,
A few questions/comments on draft-bryant-mcpherson-pwe3-cw-00.txt:

1. The draft says that the payload type in the PW-PTI is "the PW Type
   assigned by IANA". I assume that it is the same PW type that is
   defined in the IANA Allocation draft? 

2. The VCCV draft defines somewhat different semantics of the payload
   type field in the CW with the 1st nibble of '0001' as it refers
   to the PPP DLL Proto Numbers. Note that the rest of the CW is the
   same and PPP DLL Proto Numbers are not the same as PW Types (belong
   to a different registry). To the best of my understanding this means
   the PWs that use PW-PTI cannot use VCCV; did I miss something?

3. The conflict described in the previous comment seems to be easily
   resolvable by using some discriminator between the VCCV and PW PTIs
   (using some of the reserved bits).Is there any fundamental reason
   preventing that?

Hopefully these questions will be useful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------
With best regards,
                          Sasha Vainshtein
email:   [email-masked]
phone:  +972-3-7659993 (office)
            +972-8-9254948 (home)
            +972-58-674833 (cellular)