Subject: Nits in draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-15.txt

From: Sasha Vainshtein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 13:28:10 +0200

Luca and all,
I have read the latest version of the control protocol draft, and it looks
good.
However, I have a few minor comments.

1. The following text seems to be misplaced in 
Section 3 "The Pseudowire Label":

<quote>
   It is REQUIRED to assign the same PW ID, and
   PW type for a given circuit in both directions. The group ID (see
   below) MUST NOT be required to match in both directions. 
<end quote>

Note that this is the first time PW ID is mentioned in the text;
and, since Generalized ID FEC is not mentioned here at all,
it may be confusing for the reader.

2. Section 4 "Details Specific to Particular Emulated Services"
has been reduced to contain only sub-section 4.1 "IP Layer2 Transport".
The rest of the text from the -014 version has been removed (presumably
as the result of restructuring required by the IESG). But is this
very short sub-section really useful here? Or is it a temporary placeholder
until the time when some proposal on IP Layer 2 PWs is accepted
as a WG document?

3. In Section 5.4. "Interface Parameters Field", description of
two parameters,  namely the Interface MTU and the Optional 
Interface Description string has somehow survived the restructuring.
If this has been done intentionally, it would be nice to explain
the reason for that; if not, IMHO, they should "share fate"
withj the rest of the interface parameters, i.e. go to the
appropriate service-specific documents.

4. The reference to draft-ietf-pwe3-hdlc-ppp-encap-05.txt does
not lead anywhere (the nearest approximation is
draft-ietf-pwe3-hdlc-ppp-encap-03.txt for which a tombstone
can be found on the IETF Web site).

Hopefully, these comments will be useful.

Regards,
                                  Sasha Vainshtein
email:                         [email-masked]
phone:                       +972-3-7569993 (office)
fax:                            +972-3-6487779
mobile:                      +972-52-8674833