Subject: [PWE3] S-PE in stitching architecture document

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:31:42 -0400

Mathew, Stewart -

I think both the name and definition of the S-PE should change.  While
canonical example and most pressing application for stitching is at a
provider's edge, I don't see any reason to constrain the stitching point
to a PE.  One could imagine applications that might find stitching
useful at other points.

...George

========================================================================
George Swallow             Cisco Systems                  (978) 936-1398
                           1414 Massachusetts Avenue
                           Boxborough, MA 01719

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 16:52:08 +0200

Matthew, Stewart,

while we are at it picking on PE naming, please note that U-PE is
"taken", in the draft-ietf-l2vpn-l2-framework-05.txt and also
documented in rfc4026 it stands for User-facing PE. The concept
is used for a situation where the PE functionality are distribute
over more than one router, a user facing PE and a network facing
PE. I think that we could avoid future confusion by changing
name.

btw, I think we should very carefully discuss where we need and
allow pw stiching.

/Loa

-- 
Loa Andersson

Principal Networking Architect
Acreo AB                           phone:  +46 8 632 77 14
Isafjordsgatan 22                  mobile: +46 739 81 21 64
Kista, Sweden                      email:  [email-masked]
                                            [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:49:57 +0100

Loa and all,

Thanks for your comments. If U-PE clashes with another definition
elsewhere, then we will certainly have to revisit this name.

I agree that we have to be careful where we do PW switching. An objective
is to constrain the scaling and complexity issues, and the points where
policy may be applied to PWs, to specific elements in the network. Hence
the description of the network architecture in terms of "PWE3 domains."

Regards,

Matthew

                      Loa Andersson                                                                                                    
                      <[email-masked]>              To:      George Swallow <[email-masked]>                                             
                      Sent by:                 cc:      [email-masked], [email-masked], Matthew BOCCI/GB/ALCATEL@ALCATEL            
                      pwe3-bounces@iet         Subject: Re: [PWE3] S-PE in stitching architecture document                             
                      f.org                                                                                                            

                      28/07/2005 15:52                                                                                                 

Matthew, Stewart,

/Loa

--
Loa Andersson