Subject: [PWE3] comments on draft-ietf-pwe3-fcs-retention-03.txt

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:23:10 +0100

Andy

I was doing a final check on

Document: draft-ietf-pwe3-fcs-retention-03.txt
PWE3 Frame Check Sequence Retention

- Stewart

=============

The draft does not pass the nits checker

=============

Since the draft covers frame relay and the FR draft
says that the PW MAY change the FECN and/or BECN
bits, it is probably worth noting that the FCS
will have to change. It may also be worth noting
that to preserve data integrity this means
checking the FCS at the egress PE (perhaps with
an overlapping check method).

=============

As defined for MPLS, not only can a PW-aware device
internally corrupt an encapsulated payload, but ANY MPLS LSR in the
path can corrupt the encapsulated payload.

SB> This applies to both IP and MPLS PSNs.

=============

  4. Signaling FCS Retention With MPLS-based Pseudowires

     When using the signaling procedures in [4], there is a Pseudowire
     Interface Parameter Identifier value used to signal the desire to
     retain the FCS when advertising a VC label [5]:

SB> It is now called a
SB> Pseudowire Interface Parameter Sub-TLV type

  8. IANA Considerations

     This document does not specify any new registries for IANA to
     maintain.

     This document requires IANA to allocate a PWE3 Virtual Circuit FEC
     element parameter ID [5].

It might be better to say that [5] - which is a blocking
ref does this - so no additional IANA action needed.

===============

     This specification also requires one value within the L2TP "Control
     Message Attribute Value Pairs" section to be assigned by IANA as
     per [8]. The new AVP is encoded as L2TP-TBA-1 in this document, and
     should be referred to in the IANA L2TP parameters registry as "FCS
     Retention."

... but make it clear that IANA does have an action here.
Does this allocation need review and signoff by the L2TPext WG?

===============

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:09:00 -0400

Stewart,

Thanks for the comments.  We're past the submission window, so I'll get 
another revision ready in time for when it reopens.

Cheers,
Andy

-------