Subject: RE: [PWE3] CR-LDP issue is a NONissue

From: "Nurit Sprecher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:59:41 +0200

I definitely agree with you.
RSVP-TE was defined and chosen for TE support, and for TE PWs it is the natural protocol 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 14:50
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)
Cc: 'Yaakov Stein'; pwe3
Subject: RE: [PWE3] CR-LDP issue is a NONissue

> the key question WG chairs should thus ask is whether this WG wants to
> work on a third application specific solution - call it X - and/or
> re-use one or both of the existing protocol solutions being CR-LDP/ RSVP-TE
>

Dimitri,

I think you have raised a very interesting question.

My understanding is that LDP was designed for label distribution purposes
without TE requirements. For any other applications where TE is required,
RSVP-TE and CR-LDP were designed and later on CR-LDP was deprecated (so RSVP-TE
is the only standard solution).

If we look at the SS-PW application, the requirement is to have a label
distribution mechanism of the PW label between the PEs and therefore using LDP
is a "good enough" solution.
Nobody has objected to this idea because there were no arguments in favour of
RSVP-TE with such an application scope.

Now we are looking at the MS-PW application.

If there are no TE requirements therefore LDP is still a "good enough" solution.

However there are MS-PW applications where TE is required. For these
applications I think that it is wiser, from a standardization as well as an
implementation point of view, to reuse all the work done and still on-going in
MPLS and CCAMP WG on RSVP-TE.

I do not think it is good that PWE3 starts working on a "new flavour" of CR-LDP
in a full overlapping with MPLS and CCAMP WGs.

Italo

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3