Subject: [PWE3] [Fwd: Re: Congestion Control note to WG]

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:07:57 +0100

At the IESG review of the PWE3 ATM draft there were concerns
raised that although we make reference to a congestion avoidance
mechanisms in RFC3985 and in the various encapsulation drafts, we
have taken no steps to design one. This resulted in a blocking
DISCUSS being placed on the ATM work.

We have reached an agreement with the IESG, and in particular
with the transport ADs that the ATM draft will be unblocked so long as
we make a diligent attempt to design a suitable congestion avoidance
mechanism for PWE3.

As a reminder of the past, the PWE3 WG was started in the transport
area explicitly to ensure that we took into account the congestion
issues. Whilst we were under the management of the Transport Area
Directors section 6.5 of RFC3895 was written to scope the 
congestion problem in the PWE3 context.

To move this forward the chairs propose the following:

draft-rosen-pwe3-congestion-0x.txt

has be resubmitted with a view to using this as the basis of
either a problem statement/framework for this work, or as
the home of the description of the mechanism.

We will discuss this topic in Montreal, but I think that we need
to get a problem statement/framework to PWE3 WG draft status
within the very near future to demonstrate that we are upholding
our side of the bargain.

- Stewart

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3