Subject: [PWE3] STP BPDU tunneling over PWs

From: Tao Gu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:52:12 +0800

Hi Gurus,

When Vlan is service-delimiting on Ethernet LAN AC, it will be used to 
distinguish one customer's traffic from another's. This works well for 
data frames which are vlan tagged. But for STP BPDUs and other layer2 
protocol PDUs that are not vlan tagged, it's required to classify them 
into different PWs based on other mechanisms. I think such issue needs 
to be addressed and included in future RFCs.

The same problem applies to 802.1ad (QinQ) networks as well. 802.1ad 
does mention
STP PDUs "received by Customer Network Ports and addressed to the Bridge 
Group
Address are subject to service instance selection and relay in the same 
way as customer data frames."

but doesn't seem to realize that STP PDUs are untagged thus can not be 
done in the same way as customer data frames.

Best regards,

-- 
Tao Gu

Centec Networks Inc.
www.centecnetworks.com

_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3