Subject: [PWE3] Query regarding Time Format in MPLS LSP Ping Echo Request/Reply as per RFC 4379

From: "A.G.Suresh Babu (RND)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:56:31 +0530

Dear all,

I have some queries regarding Time Format to be used in "Time stamp
sent" and "Time stamp received" fields in Echo Request/Reply packets
for MPLS LSP Ping/Trace.

RFC 4379 indicates that given defintion for Time Stamp Sent field

"
   The TimeStamp Sent is set to the time-of-day (in seconds and
   microseconds) that the echo request is sent.  The TimeStamp Received
   is set to zero.

"

For TimeStamp Received the defintion is
"
   the TimeStamp Received is set to the time-of-
   day that the echo request is received (note that this information is
   most useful if the time-of-day clocks on the requester and the
   replier are synchronized).
"

Some products use the Time Format with base time as Jan 1 1900.
Generally in linux systems, when we use gettimeofday, it gives the
time from Epoch i.e., Jan 1 1970..

Which timeformat should we use ?

Should synchronisation of time between requester and sender be
achieved using any standard protocols? How can this be acheived ?
Can you state any standard protocols. Does this mean we should use
SNTP or NTP for getting from standard Time servers and use the
respective time in these fields ?

Thanks
suresh
_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3