Subject: [PWE3] Erratum for RFC 5586

From: Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:04:41 +0000

All,

Matthew Bocci has reported an Erratum for RFC 5586 that can be viewed at 
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5586&eid=1940)

The IANA considerations section (section 10) as published says that the code 
point allocation scheme for the PW Associated Channel Type is...

   0 - 32751 : IETF Review
   32760 - 32767 : Experimental

This leaves an unexplained gap in the code points for 32752 to 32759, and 
also does not explain what happens for values above 32767.

The Erratum fixes the allocation to read:

   0 - 32759 : IETF Review
   32760 - 32767 : Experimental
   32768 - 65535 : IETF Review

This choice is made to keep the Experimental range where it has already been 
defined (so as not to impact any existing implementations) and to cover the 
rest of the codepoints.

IANA have confirmed that they can update the registry to reflect this change 
on the strength of the Erratum without us publishing any further documents.

At this time, I need to hear from the people working in this area (PWE3, 
MPLS, and MPLS-TP) if this change is *not* acceptable.

Please send comments to the mpls-tp list only ([email-masked]) or unicast 
to me.

I will let this comment period run until 20th November.

Thanks,
Adrian