Subject: [PWE3] Fwd: Liaison Statement: Re: L211 - Request for the roadmap of MPLS-TP OAM (#038.01)

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:16:21 +0200

All,

this liaison should have been copied to the ccamp and pwe3 lists.

/Loa

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Liaison Statement: Re: L211 -  Request for the roadmap of 
MPLS-TP OAM (#038.01)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 06:19:42 -0400
From: IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
  [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], IETF Liaison Statements <[email-masked]>

Purpose: In response

Thank you for your liaison COM15-LS211-E "Request for the roadmap of
MPLS-TP OAM (#038.01)" dated 24-June-2010.

Like the ITU-T, the IETF is a contribution-driven organization that
relies on the voluntary effort of its members. The specific order and
the time of delivery is dependent on the timeliness of the input
received and the level of contribution.

We divide the work into four broad topic areas. Work has started on all
four areas, and given the constraints stated above we are unable to
impose a priority on the contributors.

The first area is linear protection, and the working group has drafts on
this topic.

The second area is the OAM.  The list of drafts are currently found in
draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-analysis, and this set of drafts cover the
required OAM functionality as documented in RFC 5860.

The third area is extensions for the MPLS control plane for MPLS-TP
networks, and the control plane framework is under way and extensions to
RSVP-TE for OAM parameters have been defined.

The fourth area covers the rest of the work items, including ring
protection.

In order to accelerate the progress and meet the operators' urgent
requirements for MPLS-TP OAM, it is suggested the ITU-T encourages the
service providers who are requesting more rapid development of standards
to participate more fully in the IETF standardization process, as
jointly agreed upon.

The IETF looks forward to working cooperatively with the ITU-T to
develop MPLS-TP OAM solution components in a timely manner that meet the
needs of network operators wishing to deploy MPLS technology.

On behalf of the IESG,
  Russ Housley

-- 

Loa Andersson                         email: [email-masked]
Sr Strategy and Standards Manager            [email-masked]
Ericsson Inc                          phone: +46 10 717 52 13
                                              +46 767 72 92 13