Subject: [PWE3] TDMoIP AAL2: Selection of channels

From: Javi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 17:41:26 +0200

[RFC5087] indicates: "Using the variable-rate AAL2 mode, we may 
dynamically allocate channels to be transported (i.e. VAD), thus 
conserving bandwidth."

Is it possible to use the MeGaCo protocol to indicate to the PEs which 
channels may be transported by a TDMPW? (it would allow to select the 
channels to be transported based on any criteria, such as an external 
signalling protocol).

---

From: Yaakov Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 11:05:05 +0000

Javi

There is no reason that you could not use Megaco for this purpose
if you have it available.  However, it is really not needed.

I certainly would not try to signal VAD events using it - 
the AAL2 CID automatically handles this.

And the mapping of trunk+slot to CID is handled efficiently
by the TDM extensions to the PWE3 control protocol.

So, while not impossible, I think this application would
be limited to cases where you are replacing a link controlled by Megaco
with one based on 5087.

Y(J)S

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Javi
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 18:41
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [PWE3] TDMoIP AAL2: Selection of channels

Is it possible to use the MeGaCo protocol to indicate to the PEs which 
channels may be transported by a TDMPW? (it would allow to select the 
channels to be transported based on any criteria, such as an external 
signalling protocol).
_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: Javi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:08:50 +0200

Yaakov

> the AAL2 CID automatically handles this.
My intention is not to select the TDM channel by VAD, but by other 
criteria (in my case, carry the channels indicated by the Q.931 
signaling terminated in the MGC; this MGC uses Megaco to indicate to the 
PE which are these channels).

I understand that the TDM channels carried by a TDMPW can be selected by 
any criteria, not only by VAD. Or am I wrong?

Javi

---

From: Yaakov Stein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 16:11:46 +0000

Javi

You can use any criterion.

Most commonly used are signaling (e.g., Q.931), detecting active channels (CAS or CCS), 
and VAD.

As I said before, if you have Megaco running you can use it.

Y(J)S

-----Original Message-----
From: Javi [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 14:09
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Yaakov Stein
Subject: Re: [PWE3] TDMoIP AAL2: Selection of channels

Yaakov

Javi