Subject: [PWE3] heads up: Requirements for IP/MPLS network transmission interruption duration

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:07:26 -0000

Discussion should probably go to the Ops Area Working Group list.
 
Adrian
 
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
fanpeng
Sent: 12 March 2012 15:24
To: [email-masked]; 'Bradner, Scott'; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Cc: 李连源
Subject: [OPSAWG] Requirements for IP/MPLS network transmission interruption
duration
 
Greetings all,
 
We have recently submitted a draft on transmission interruption duration
(draft-fan-opsawg-transmission-interuption-00
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fan-opsawg-transmission-interuption/> ).
We felt it necessary to make requirements for the interruption duration since
there is no consensus on it yet in the industry. We primarily analyzed
interruption criteria for softswitch voice, and research on LTE backhaul and
other kinds of service scenarios has been in progress.
 
We would like to hear from you feedbacks about this draft, e.g. whether or not
there should be such requirements or methodology for the analysis. Any comment
on it will be appreciated.
 
The following is a brief introduction:
 
Today's IP/MPLS network is widely used as a bearing network to carry diversified
packet switched services. The transmission qualities of these services are
closely related to the performance of bearing layers, as network failure, delay,
congestion and other abnormities will inevitably bring about service
interruption and user perception degradation. However, there is no consensus in
the industry on transmission interruption for IP/MPLS network up to now.  This
memo studies relationships between service performance and transmission
interruption duration in several scenarios, and is intended to reach a list of
requirements for these interruption duration criteria.

Best regards,                                 
 
Fan Peng