Subject: [PWE3] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-ms-pw-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 09:28:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to Edge Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Stitching Procedures for Static PW in MPLS-TP Environment
	Author(s)       : Siva Sivabalan
                          Sami Boutros
                          Luca Martini
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-ms-pw-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2012-10-22

Abstract:
   The existing procedures for concatenating static and dynamic
   pseudowires (PWs) do not take into account the PW status Operation,
   Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) messages defined for static PW.
   Also, these procedures do not take into account operator functions
   such Lock Instruct and Loopback introduced as part of MPLS Transport
   Profile (MPLS-TP). This informational document reiterates stitching
   procedures for static PW taking into account all the new proposed
   extensions.

   This document is a product of a joint Internet Engineering Task
   Force(IETF) / International Telecommunication Union Telecommunication
   Standardization Sector (ITU-T) effort to include an MPLS Transport
   Profile within the IETF MPLS and PWE3 architectures to support the
   capabilities and functionalities of a packet transport network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-ms-pw

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-ms-pw-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-ms-pw-01

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Jie Dong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 08:42:35 +0000

Dear all, 

Here are some comments on draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-ms-pw-01.

1. RFC6435 specifies LI and LB which are mainly management based, while in section 3.1 of this draft the LI operation is only based on the LI message. IMO the descriptions in section 3.1 may need be updated and comply with RFC6435. Also please note that control plane based LI and LB signaling are specified in draft-dong-pwe3-mpls-tp-li-lb-02, which can also be used for LI and LB of MS-PW.

2. Section 3.1.1.2, second paragraph, " If PW2 is a dynamic segment and PW status " should be " If PW2 is a dynamic segment and does not support PW status ".

3. In section 3.1.2.1, it specifies that to lock PW1, the intended recipient of the LI request is the S-PE, then the S-PE sends PW status message to the remote T-PE. This is the operation of locking one PW segment in an MS-PW. When the PW segment is locked, can the other PW segment (PW2 in this draft) be stitched to some other PW segment and used for traffic forwarding? If not, perhaps locking the whole MS-PW can have the same effect as locking one PW segment?

Best regards,
Jie

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:29 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [PWE3] I-D Action: draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-tp-ms-pw-01.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3