Subject: [PWE3] The IPR situation on draft-ietf-pwe3-dynamic-ms-pw

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 14:51:03 +0200

Working Group,

(with my document shepherd hat on)

I've had hoped to send the publication request for this document to the
IESG this week. However there is one thing I need the working groups
view before I go ahead and do so.

We can't discuss IPRs explicitly on IETF mailing lists, but we can
decide on what the working group wants to do given the current
situation. You will have digest the information below, possibly do
your own digging in the IPR disclosure archives, etc. Before you send
a mail to the PWE3 wg mailing list with a very simple statement, e.g.:

"Considering IPR situation for draft-ietf-pwe3-dynamic-ms-pw I think it
is OK to continue and request publication."

or

"Considering IPR situation for draft-ietf-pwe3-dynamic-ms-pw I don't
think it is OK to continue and request publication."

There are two issues:

Late IPR disclosures
--------------------

The early individual drafts that were merged in to the current wg
draft was published as early as Feb 2005.

IPR disclosure #998 is from 2008-08-22; in itself this a "late"
(3.5 years) but would not be a matter or concern.

IPR disclosure #1810 is from July 5, 2012, it is not possible to trace
this as an update to an earlier disclosure. It looks to me that this is
very late (8.5 years).

IPR disclosure #1879 is from September 11, 2012, however this is an
update to #566  that was published April 14, 2005 and should not be
a problem.

IPR disclosure #1885 is a third disclosure. Relating to an IPR from
a former employer of the disclosing party.

Non-disclosed rights for use of IPR
-----------------------------------
I can't find any documentation with the an IPR disclosure from the
IPR holder of the IPR disclosed in #1885.

Responses to the IPR poll.
--------------------------
We have 20 authors/contributors that we have asked to respond to
the normal IPR poll.

We have 18 responses that all says that the responders do not
know of any IPR other than those disclosed.

Of these 18 there are three responses that have not been sent
to the list but directly the the wg chairs or the document
shepherd; from Luca Martini, Vasile Radoca and
Yohan(Yeong-il) Seo.

There are two authors/contributors that has not responded;
Yetik Serbest and Mike Duckett.

Note:

Please don't respond to this mail in any other way than to
express your supoort/non-support to go ahead and request
publication!! Discussion of IPRs on IETF mailing list are
not appropriate.

If you have information that I've not included in the mail
above send this uni-directional to me and I will update
accordingly.

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: "Serbest, Yetik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:36:18 +0000

Hi Loa,

Sorry for the late reply. Long summer vacation.

I am not aware of any IPR related to this draft.

Thanks,
yetik

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Loa Andersson
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [PWE3] The IPR situation on draft-ietf-pwe3-dynamic-ms-pw

Working Group,

or

There are two issues:

Late IPR disclosures
--------------------

Note:

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64
_______________________________________________
pwe3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 19:43:51 +0200

Yetik,

tnx!

/Loa

--

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:19:53 +0200

Working Group,

We now have the responses from all the authors/contributors. Tnx to
everyone that have responded and to the folks that helped me to get this
done.

Now one small step remains - I need to understand whether or not the
working group is ready to go ahead and request publication even though
we know of an IPR (disclosure #1885), but don't know of the terms that
the IPR owner will require from anyone implementing.

Please remember that we can't discuss the content of the IPR, the only
discussion we can have is what the working group want to do.

Please respond according the model I indicated before:

Either

or

Would be good to have these responses timely so we don't drag this out
too long.

/Loa (document shepherd)

--