Subject: [PWE3] REVISED Last Call: <draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-impl-survey-results-02.txt> (The Pseudowire (PW) & Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV) Implementation Survey Results) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 05:36:09 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Pseudowire Emulation Edge to
Edge WG (pwe3) to consider the following document:
- 'The Pseudowire (PW) & Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV)
   Implementation Survey Results'
  <draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-impl-survey-results-02.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-09-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Most pseudowire Emulation Edge-to-Edge (PWE3) encapsulations mandate
   the use of the Control Word (CW) to carry information essential to
   the emulation, to inhibit Equal-Cost Multipath (ECMP) behavior, and
   to discriminate Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM)
   from Pseudowire (PW) packets.  However, some encapsulations treat the
   Control Word as optional.  As a result, implementations of the CW,
   for encapsulations for which it is optional, vary by equipment
   manufacturer, equipment model and service provider network.
   Similarly, Virtual Circuit Connectivity Verification (VCCV) supports
   three Control Channel (CC) types and multiple Connectivity
   Verification (CV) Types.  This flexibility has led to reports of
   interoperability issues within deployed networks and associated
   drafts to attempt to remedy the situation.  This survey of the PW/
   VCCV user community was conducted to determine implementation trends.
   The survey and results is presented herein.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-impl-survey-results/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pwe3-vccv-impl-survey-results/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.