Subject: enumerate packets not to ack?

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 14:28:51 -0400

Quic-Friends,

It seems clear that Version Negotiation and Server Stateless Retry packets
should not be acknowledged (afterall they cannot be retransmitted, and they
use packet numbers not generated by the sender).. but I can't find any text
that says this. Am I missing it, should we add it, other?

I guess I'm particularly concerned about interop running into "The sender
MUST close the connection if an unsent packet number is acknowledged" if
acks are sent here..

-P

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 11:57:55 -0700

Section 9 says acks must not generate acks, but this is a gap. We should
enumerate the packet types (and perhaps frame types too) that must not
generate acks. I've filed #563
<https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/563>.

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 11:21:52 +1000

On 1 June 2017 at 04:57, Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]> wrote:
> generate acks. I've filed #563.

What's the taxonomy?  Can we split this based on frame type?

PADDING and ACK alone don't generate the need for an ACK.  However, a
packet with any other frame type does.  Except when they are carried
in Server Stateless Retry packets, which never generates
acknowledgments.

Version Negotiation packets don't contain frames so they don't cause
acknowledgments to be needed.   Here's a thought: maybe they should.